Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Classic Spins with Negative Wall's Don Cole

Negative Wall
Black Doomba Records is about to release the latest by Tommy Stewart's Negative Wall. You should check that out over at BANDCAMP.

In the meantime, let's talk about records with Don Cole, Negative Wall's six string slinger.

There's even a super sexy vinyl edition of this soon to be future classic doom metal.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. 

Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

Concept albums are very cool. I've always liked 2112 by Rush, it has great songs, it was one of the albums I learned to play guitar with when I was 12 years old. 


I also really loved the story of Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche, also full of great songs and musicianship. 

I'd love to get to do a concept album with Negative Wall so maybe we get around to that at some point.

2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one. 

Tell me about your favorite live record?

Some live albums do have a fake quality to them, as a kid Kiss Alive I and II were favorites, Queen Live Killers always sounded very real to me, but then Queen is probably my favorite band of all time! 

The production isn't great but the energy is off the charts.

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

I associate music more to things that were happening in my life and people I have known more so than emotions. 

But there are some albums that fire me up like Van Halen - Fair Warning for the aggressive guitar playing and most Queen albums for the sheer beauty of the compositions.

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love?

I always loved Flush the Fashion by Alice Cooper and Chinatown by Thin Lizzy, both fairly low down on the list of popular albums by an artist or band but they always touched me for some reason
.
5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

Most of the stuff I have is older, Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous, Queen - Live Killers, Van Halen - Live Without a Net with Sammy, J.Geils Band - Blow Your Face Out. One newer one is Uli Jon Roth - Tokyo Tape Revisited - Live in Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment