Monday, February 4, 2019

Classic Spins with Unendlich

Unendlich
Balitmore, MD's Unendlich has just released their latest record, Thanatophobia. Take my word for it, if you haven't already, it's a smasher of a disc and you need to get over to BANDCAMP and find out more about why I'm still fussing about that album.

If you like your black metal to blow your hair clean to the back of the auditorium, well boy, you may have stumbled upon the next best thing.

In the meantime, let's find out what kinds of music these young men have been listening to and see what shaped their musical vision growing up.

My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 

Anthony: My favorite concept album would be In Flames's Whoracle. While it isn't my favorite In Flames album (that honor goes to Colony), I found the concept to be really interesting, and the lyrics (penned by Niklas Sundin of Dark Tranquillity) certainly delivered in that regard.

Whoracle's concept entails the past, present, and what could be the future of Earth.

Mike: Though I think Carach Angren is killing it these days with each of their albums being a story concept album (‘Where the Corpses Sink Forever’ is still a fave) I feel Marilyn Manson’s triptych (Antichrist to Holy Wood) is my favorite.

Intentional or not, occurring in reverse sequence of release and telling a tale of the hypocrisies that keep society moving through Adam as the primordial man. Revolution is just another product.

My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one. 

Tell me about your favorite live record? 

Anthony: I really like Dark Tranquility's Where Death is Most Alive DVD. Great setlist with some welcome surprises (Yesterworld, Dreamlore Degenerate, Edenspring, etc), great performance, and great visuals (always been a fan of how Dark Tranquility incorporates the projector into their set with fantastic artwork).

A close second would be Hypocrisy's Hell over Sofia.

Mike: Slayer - Decade of Aggression.

It was the first music book I bought with a friend when I was learning guitar (This is pre-internet). We ripped the book in half and would swap it when we hung out over the weekend while playing the songs together.

The album has a great setlist and helped me build my guitar playing early on.

There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad? 

Anthony: Shortly after my father passed away, I found myself listening to Antimatter's Planetary Confinement often, it was very cathartic for me and helped me release my grief, so to speak.

Nowadays I find it hard to listen to music when i'm angry or sad, I usually tend to isolate myself and browse the web or watch something in order to feel better, or talk it out with my wife.

Mike: It depends how angry I am though if it is to the point of wanting to cause harm I tend to box a bit and/or run while listen to something fast and aggressive like Marduk, Deicide, etc. or something simple and to the throat like Acacia Strain or Hatebreed.

I still like the bands even when I am not angry but they seem to be the most helpful to me for cathartic release. I would agree with Anthony that Antimatter hits the spot when depressed.

They definitely picked up where Anathema left off. Antimatter’s newest album is great as well Blackmarket Enlightenment.

I suppose it is a concept album that tells a tale of a psychonaut (Mick Moss) going too far down the rabbit hole best summarized in the lyric “Came back from the void with the void still in me”. I also feel bands like lifelover, My Dying Bride, and Woods of Ypres hits the spot as well when feeling down.

One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love? 

Anthony: The strange one for me would probably be Thrice's Vheissu, as that is my favorite album by those guys.

I'm not a religious person by any means, but despite Thrice being a Christian band, I still enjoy their music immensely, and its clear that they put a lot of passion and soul into what they do.

Mike: Paradise Lost – Host. It was critically deadpanned and metalheads hated it for sounding too “Depeche mode” but I felt the songs were still there regardless of how they were executed.

It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. 

Which ones do you have in your collection?

Anthony: Hypcorisy's Hell over Sofia, In Flames's Used and Abused, At the Gates's Purgatory Unleashed, Amon Amarth's Wrath of the Norsemen, and Dark Tranquillity's Where Death is Most Alive. 

Mike: I saw Mayhem a couple years ago in DC performing De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas in full and picked up the CD/DVD at the show.

I also have Paradise Lost – Draconian Times MMXI, Slayer – Still Reigning, and Megadeth – Rust in Peace Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment