Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Classic Spins with NeoNera's Evan McCluskey

There have been a great many editions of the Classic Spins column, but this one is the first time we get to hear a lot about The Tragically Hip.

Check out all out below and while you're checking that out, make sure you're on top of the new music on their YOUTUBE channel. 

If you subscribe, you're the first to get the freshness.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 

Fear Of A Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree. The album’s title is a direct reference to Public enemy’s Fear Of A Black Planet, although this album is about losing this generation of youth to drug overdoses, excessive screen time, and abuse in the home. 

The album was heavily influenced by a novel called Lunar Park, this is great from a listener’s perspective to hear it from a point of view of someone going through the things. I always talk about how much I love listening to music on vinyl, because it’s an experience. 

You put the vinyl on the table, drop the needle, and just listen. Steven Wilson said he wanted the listener to be able to hear it in one sitting. This was amazing for me personally because it gave you that same vinyl experience, the lyrics and the music all flow right into each other given you an entire album of straight flowing music. 

The album has some of my favorite Porcupine Tree songs ever written, and boast some musical transitions fueled by Gavin Harrison’s brilliant rhythmic mind. 

2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. 

Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one. Tell me about your favorite live record? 

My favorite live record of all time is Live Between Us by The Tragically Hip. From start to finish it’s pure poetry. The entire band just builds and feeds off of every note played. The entire show has velvety flow into the next, and give the listener time to catch their breath before you get hit in the face with more Gord Downie wisdom. 

One of the things I love the most is Downie’s banter in between, it almost feels part of the song, but it’s just him, poetry in motion off the cuff. 

He threw in some David Bowie and Beach Boys lyrics in between is own, while rocking to New Orleans Is Sinking. Pure Gold! 

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad? 

One record I listen to probably once a day, to give me just overall feels is, Reimagined by The Contortionist.

I can’t really put into words what this song does for me. If I’m feeling a little down I will usually throw on Dust by Tremonti. 

If I’m being a little bitch about something I throw on Soft by Motionless In White. 

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. What's the strange one that you love? 

The B52’s Self Titled. There is something so bad ass about being able to sing an entire song about Lava. 

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

The Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense.

This is not a release of a live version of an entire album, but live versions of previously recorded songs. Yes, you can say well this would be your favorite live album, but this is the only album where I would rather listen to the live versions over the originals. 

I say this because every time I listen to this album, I can see every dance move, over sized suit, cowbell hit, and fan grooving out in awe to this absolute masterpiece of an album and film.

No comments:

Post a Comment