Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Classic Spins with Thanatopsis's David A. Couch

Have you heard that Thanatopsis has finally dropped a new record?

It's called Initiation.

Stream it over on SPOTIFY.

Take a listen and see what you're thinking about these metal vets. In the meantime, you can find out about what kind of music David A. Couch takes inspiration from.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 

I must go with King Diamond “Abigail” – King’s storytelling flows well with his vocal, the songs, musicianship, and guitar solos are all so great, killer. 

When it came out it felt ambitious to me, one of the first metal albums I can think of where every song is part of the story…Special shout out to Styx “Kilroy Was Here” since I saw that tour as a young kid… 

2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. 

Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one. Tell me about your favorite live record?

Iron Maiden “Live After Death” – I would listen to that album with headphones on my Dad’s stereo for hours and just look at the album cover… 

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad? 

It changes a lot but recently I have been listening to Vitriol, Hideous Divinity, Cattle Decapitation – I guess that would be for angry moods – and Paradise Lost when I am sad? 

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. What's the strange one that you love? 

I also love Diabolous En Musica by Slayer. 

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. 
Which ones do you have in your collection? 

I have Abigail live, both the recent and the 1987 versions, I have the Slayer DVD “Still Reigning," I have the Megadeth blu rays when they do Rust in Peace and Countdown, I have Fates Warning when they played “Awaken the Guardian," and I am sure a few others!

No comments:

Post a Comment