Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Hometown Tales with Mathiew Vilandre of Fuck The Facks

Is it wrong of me to think that because Qubec has the Acadians...well... had them and St. Louis has the Chouteau Dynasty that we are kinsfolk of some sort even though my only French is Hi, How are you, Where is the Bus stop, and Don't Shoot Me I'm Canadian?

Yeah, it totally is.

Anyway, let's talk to a Quebecois via Germany. (Man, I dunno. He didn't really explain.)

Fuck The Facts can be found on BANDCAMP. Now's probably a good time to mention, these dudes are doing an interview that's not in their native language.

Thanks for taking some time for us here in St. Louis. It's appreciated.

1. St. Louis City is my hometown. I've lived here for most of my life in and around the city. Where are you from? 

I was born in Germany but lived most of my life in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada.


2.We have three things that don't really exist anywhere else: the slinger, the gooey butter cake, and toasted ravioli. Tell me about your hometown delicacy.

 

We have the “Obama cookie” that was created for Obama’s 2009 visit to Ottawa, still on sale today.


The amazing egg rolls from the Golden Palace, you can get them at a Sens game. We have amazing beer on both sides of the river too.

 

I live in a sector that’s called Hull, it used to be it’s own city until 2002, and the downtown is known as the “Little Chicago."


You can check it out here; it’s a pretty cool prohibition story. 

 

3. In St. Louis, though there have been others. Our biggest hometown team is the St. Louis Cardinals (formerly the St. Louis Perfectos, nee: the St. Louis Browns, not the AL team that moved to Baltimore.) There is nowhere you can go to escape it. I'm a hockey fan, not a baseball fan, so it's a bit weird to me. Tell me about your hometown's big team.

 

The biggest team here would be the Ottawa Senators (NHL) but I live on the Quebec side so it's mostly Habs fans around me.


I've always been a Habs fan. Lots of people hate them, it’s a long story going all the way back to the Quebec Nordiques.


Old sport feud, you know. Anyways, the Sens aren't a winning team and the arena is so fucking far away, might as well drive to Montreal to go see a game.


I still try to go a few times a year, I love hockey. I think 90% of all communications between me and Topon are hockey related.


Can't wait for the season to start again.

 

4. St. Louis isn't really known for any one type of music scene. The biggest acts I can think of to get out of here alive were Gravity Kills, Nelly and the St. Lunatics, and Sheryl Crow. There's always been a vibrant concert scene though. What about where you are?

 

Gatineau used to be one of the meccas of the hardcore scene, lots of bands and lots of shows. It slowed down now but I think it’s still a very healthy scene.


I actually think Ottawa is a metal city, we often get overlooked as we are in between Toronto and Montreal. Exciter and Annihilator are from here and there’s tons of great bands coming out of Ottawa/Gatineau.


Obviously, with the pandemic, pretty much everything came to a halt but the people involved in the scene are doing their best to keep it as alive as possible. There’s some pretty dedicated people here.

 

5. 20 years ago, St. Louis had about 300 murders each year, floods, and all sorts of other fun things. You might have heard about us being named the Murder Capital of the USA. Nowadays, a lot here is 150. But there are lots of parts of the city that are returning to former glory. On the whole, St. Louis is a better place to live today than before. Is there anything like that where you're from?

 

Right now, we get about 15 to 20 homicides per year for a population of around 1 400 000. That’s a lot for us, it’s usually more around 7 per year but Ottawa has been battling organized/gang related crime for some time now.


I can’t remember a time where there was this much gun violence in this town, especially downtown. We also got hit pretty bad with two major floods in the last three years and multiple tornados, lots of people lost their homes. It’s been a pretty intense few years, that’s for sure.


Nevertheless, it’s a great place to live. 

 

6. Are you still there?

 

Yeah, I like it here. It's a great region.


No comments:

Post a Comment