Friday, November 20, 2020

Sophomore Jinx with Jaime Ayala of Overt Enemy

It's time to introduce you to another metal band out of the ginormo state of Texas. We're talking of course, about Overt Enemy.


Before you move on, I'd suggest you stream their music on BANDCAMP. Their upcoming LP is even going to be getting a sweet, sweet vinyl release. You can even pick black or swirl of doooom.


I know what I'm picking.


While you've now been properly introduced, let's find out how things were back in the proverbial day as the old people say.


1. There is nothing more awkward than sophomore year of high school. Tell me about your circle of friends.


Oh how I desire some of today’s conveniences were available back when I was in high school. It would have made a lot of our daily tasks so much easier to do.In the late 80’s.


If you wanted to plan any type of get together with friends and/or family, communicating was mostly done through the use of a house land line or by word of mouth.


Every once in a while though, there would be the unfortunate event that someone would be left out of our gatherings, simply because the person was not at home at the time of the call or they were not around when a party was being planned.


I had a few friends in my circle but, believe it or not, my best friend at the time is the now famous musician Bobby Pulido. Bobby is now a well-known Tejano musician and actor featured in mostly Mexican television.


I guess you could say that most of my friends were social. We’d all do activities that were considered “normal” back then, like go to parties, the movies, the dance club on teen night and the mall to meet girls.


Great time indeed!

 

2. By this time in my life, I'd given up on all extracurricular in my school. Tell me about how you spent your afternoons.


I was in band throughout my Jr. High and High School years. During the fall, I’d spent most of my afternoon at band practice, then head home to do any homework assignments.


The rest of the evening was spent relaxing, watching the tube or playing video games.

 

3. During this time is when I finally discovered Pink Floyd. I had a copy of The Wall on cassette. It was a grey one. That album was my escape. Let's hear about your favorite album from back then. What format was it on?


This one’s an easy one. It was Iron Maiden’s masterpiece Somewhere in Time on cassette format. It got through some of the most difficult times and will always be on my playlist. 

 

4. What was the name of your high school and did you have a favorite class?


Edinburg High School. My favorite class was History. I always viewed it as storytelling of human existence and evolution. 

 

5. How did your school's football team do that season?


We made the Texas state playoffs that year, but were eliminated in the first round.

 

6. What instrument were you playing at that time?


I was a French horn player in band throughout my Jr. High and High School years. I still enjoy the sound of the French horn in classical music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment