Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Beer Thirty With Erik Leonhard of KOSM

KOSM
Again, because I'm cold it's time to check out another warmer weather band. 

So allow me to introduce you to Vancouver's own: KOSM.

Here's a band that loves HP Lovecraft. They just released a concept record based on Lovecraft's stories.

Personally, I haven't read any of the man's work, but his influence in pop culture and metal cannot be denied.

If you're into metal, beer, and Chutulu, READ ON! But, check out COSMONAUT while you're doing that.

1. My personal favorite beer style is the might Double India Pale Ale. The best DIPA in the world is STLIPA by Urban Chestnut. 

Tell me about your favorite style.

I like IPAs quite a bit. I think I lot of people dismiss them immediately because of the bitter taste, but there’s nothing quite as refreshing as an ice cold IPA on a hot day. 

Really though, my favourite style of beer is probably German Wheat Beer. I specify German mostly just because of their purity laws. 

I find that a lot of producers of wheat beer get really carried away with adding a ton of fruit flavours. There’s nothing really wrong with this, but in my opinion you can’t beat a plain wheat beer. 

My favourite is Franziskaner, which is tragically not available in B.C., Canada, where I live. 

2. Many international people have laughed at me for this, but American Beer is the best in the world. Not American Lagers, that piss water is best used for drinking 15 of them while you're at the karaoke bar, but American Craft Beer. 

Which nation is pumping out the best beer?

I would probably have to agree with you. There’s clearly a difference between mass market American beer, and American craft beer. 

And I don’t know if there’s any country in the world with the same obsession with craft beer as the USA. But while I maybe can’t speak for all of Canada, I can say that my hometown of Vancouver, Canada is an excellent place for craft beer. 

There are so many craft breweries springing up in this city, it’s hard to keep track of them all. With that much craft beer, you’ll find something you like pretty easily.

3. Even though I'm a giant beer snob, I'll drink beers that break the Bavarian Purity Laws. My personal favorite is Schalfly's Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout. It's a might 22oz of 10% ABV Stout aged in bourbon barrels. It'll warm your heart and soul. 

What beers do you love that break Reinheitsgebot?

I really like Back Hand of God Stout by Crannog Ales. Granted, I started drinking it for the name, but I stuck with it for the taste. 

It’s a very smooth beer, with a coffee and chocolate sort of flavour, but without being overly sweet. It’s tough to get your hands on though unfortunately, and I don’t know if it’s sold outside of B.C., Canada.

4. Right now, you couldn't pin me down and get me to give my favorite St. Louis Brewery, though Urban Chestnut's STLIPA does put them in the lead...but if you put a gun to my head, it's Schlafly Brewing. 

What do you think of your local brewers?

Vancouver, Canada is a great place for local breweries. There’s an overwhelming amount of craft breweries in this city, so it’s hard not to find good local beer. 

I like Deep Cove Brewers, and Bridge Brewing at lot, but there are honestly so many I could name. If you’re a true craft beer fan, I really think Vancouver is one for the bucket list.

5. Hops or Malt? Personally, I feel like a jerk for asking the question. Give me a malty Scottish/Scotch Ale or a hoppy DIPA...and I'm happy...but you gotta pick one.

It really depends on my mood, or the weather, of just the time of year. If you had asked me this question just a few years ago, I probably would have said Malt. 

But today I think I’d have to go with Hops. I think craft brewers’ obsession with hops can go a little far at times, but I honestly like the taste. 

I think I lean more in that direction these days.

6. Whenever I'm road tripping. I'm always bringing back beers. Ohio, Great Lakes Brewing. East Coast, Yuengling. Western New York. Genessee. What do you bring home? 

I was lucky enough to go to Germany a few years ago. On the flight back, I brought a number of bottles of Franziskaner back with me in my checked luggage… with mixed results. 

I did manage to get a couple bottles out of it, but my luggage also reeked of beer all the way from the airport to my home. 

Overall, it was still worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment