Thursday, March 7, 2019

Five Minute Origin Stories with Mezzoa's Nacho Maldonado

Mezzoa
In St. Louis, we are under siege, snow siege. 

Normally our average temperature in March is about 52 degrees F and that's not a weather that's conducive to snow, but this Sunday past, the high was NINE F and we got about 5" of snow which is still on the ground I might add.

Most folks know me as a cold weather kind of guy, but this year has just gotten my goat and it's time for the cold to go away.

When I'm worried about the cold, California over there with all their social programs and sunny weather just kind of pisses me off.

So, the smartest play is to look at a project called Mezzoa. Thankfully they're from....oh damn.

San Diego, Ca.Well it's only 63 degrees F there right now, but that's surely going to be able to create some great metal isn't it?

Well, Nacho Maldonado of Mezzoa was kind enough to talk about his roots, records, and the stuff that makes bands cool.

If you're interested in the album he talks about at the end, you can sample that here at BANDCAMP and of course make friends at FACEBOOK.

1. Is there an event you can point to you that made you say, wow, that's the instrument I want to play? Not like guitar or drums, but the reason why you play the model you do? 

I've always been a big fan of Tony Iommi. His SG was the guitar i've always wanted to play, I recently broke down and purchased one. Its Light and bad ass. 

2. How do you write a song?

I usually get a riff started on guitar, then hum a melody along with that. If I like the way it's going ,I break out the notepad and start jotting down lyrics. 

Since I play drums too, the Beat is usually already predetermined due to the riff.

3. How many concept records do you own? Could you ever write one?

I guess I have a few concept albums, and I've actually already wrote 2 concept albums for my previous band. 
4. Who's influence is most evident in your music? The least?

I'd have to say i'm most influenced by Black Sabbath and the Beatles. I've always loved Sabbath's Riffs, and the Hooks and melodies of the Beatles. 
5. Which one of your songs is the one your the most proud of?

I'd like to think "Song of The Sun" is my favorite right now. Heavy overall tone, with hooks and meaning.

6. Sum up your latest record for us. 

Really proud of this last project for a few reasons. I played all the instruments in the studio, and the songs are pretty diverse. 

A mix of heavy riff action, along with some dreamy trippy stuff. Punk Flavors, with some Power Pop sprinkled in as well. 

Overall, I think I made a pretty cool album which is relatable and easy to digest for most casual listeners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment