Friday, July 10, 2020

Review Round Up 7/10/20

On a personal note, it's been really hard to maintain my standard content output and I'm sorry. I have figured out how I can get back to at least getting some reviews out there.

For the moment, I'm sticking with the round up style of reviews.

King Gorm by King Gorm (7/31/20)

So, this was a band I'd been seeing things about on Twitter. With my situation being what it is, I've not kept up on my emails. With that said, their style was still unknown to me. So, when pressing play for the firs time, it's hard to precisely describe the music I'm hearing.

Without going into all of the costumes, mythology, and origin of the name, let's just talk about this music. Vocally, there's a bit of Ghost in there, along with some Ghost-ish, instrumentation. Keyboards and such.

But musically, it's far closer to Iron Maiden on the metal spectrum. This band sounds like what I what hear in my head when I see Ghost.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

The bass player has clearly gone to the Steve MF Harris School of Bass Guitar songwriting. The chugs were noticeable, but slightly unfamiliar. It was close, but far away. It's the attitude of Harris, without ever aping his licks.

This band lies somewhere between Iron Maiden and Ghost, but songwriting sessions only seem to happen after spinning Styx records.

I could give you more, but it's just better for you to hear it.

Rating A+ Bandcamp


Dick Circus by Brandy and the Butcher (8/21/20)

Remember when Rock Music had a gallop that would take us clear to the back of the auditorium? It's been so long since we had that sort of snappy music that...many of us have simply forgotten.

AC/DC had that sort of gallop and in the latest from Bandy and the Butcher, I can hear a little of bit of that AC/DC swagger, but in the best possible way. Each song thus far has sounded completely different from its predecessor.

This record could have, nay should have been what Cherry Bomb was playing in Howard The Duck. It's so very much of that time, but in a sleazy, underside of Sunset Strip kind of way. No... that's not quite right.

This is the forebear of that scene. The falling dinosaurs of 1984. The sounds that still had one foot in the rhythm and blues history of rock, but still heading into that saturated, distorted rock guitar sound we all came to love so very much.

All I'd change is a bit more variety in the guitar tones. It does give a touch of the ear fatigue. It's a great sound, but give me some cleans in there too.

As for my rating...this album is just shy of being A+. I probably will purchase it on vinyl though, but I gotta sit on it  for a little bit.

Rating: A Bandcamp


No comments:

Post a Comment