Monday, October 15, 2018

Vinyloscopy with Malacoda

Malacoda
Oaklville, Ontario is the home of a horror theme power metal band, Malacoda.

They're on the cusp of releasing a full length album based on the video game Silent Hill 2.

Personally, I'm not going to point out right now that I much prefer Zombie Revenge and Deep Fear or that Sega has always made the best games...

But maybe they'll make a Deep Fear concept record next? Naturally, that's ridiculous wishful thinking because most people never played that game or heard it existed, but seriously, mutant zombie things on an underwater sea lab?

Who's not in for that?

Anyway, Rockshots Records will be releasing Restless Dreams and you can check it out HERE.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

I really enjoy listening to October Rust by Type O Negative on Vinyl. That record has so many layers and textures throughout that I find that I can hear certain things more clearly on a record than on a digital format. 


2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?


When I was at a local record store, I had come across a used record by one of my favorite bands, Fields of the Nephilim, that had only ever come out on Vinyl or Cassette (at the time). 


I needed to have this in my collection, so I bought it! My parents kept all their records and I've since maintained them, so it kind of was a "natural progression" of my journey of music acquisition. 

3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

I don't discriminate on what I buy on Vinyl, sometimes it's an older record that I've owned on CD for years and I'm just curious what it sounds like on Vinyl, or in other cases it's something completely new. 

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my early 70's receiver with a 70's turntable and 70's 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

My Vinyl setup is in my bedroom, where I do a lot of my work in the evenings. I like to listen to records when I'm working. I use at Audio-Technica AT-LP60-USB turntable, put it through an old Yamaha amplifier that belonged to my dad from the 80's, and play through matching Yamaha stereo speakers. 

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

I used to do that with cassettes and CD's when I was younger, so I'll still do that with Vinyl if it's my first time listening to the record. 

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

I hear people say that about a lot of things, like music equipment or video games or whatever. Peoples taste change over time in many cases. 


Whenever someone says that I ask if they have anything they'd like to give away or sell! 

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Hands down the best live album of all time (and I'll fight everyone to the death over this) is Frampton Comes Alive! by Peter Frampton. 


It's not metal, it's rock, but it's got such an energy to the live performance that it translates really well as a recording. 

No comments:

Post a Comment