Friday, December 7, 2018

LP Review: "The Veil of Darkness" by Gorgon

The Veil of Darkness
Recently, somewhere I saw a statement that the best thing about metal is always feeling like a newbie due to all the content out there.

When it comes to Black Metal, and definitely 2nd Wave, that describes me quite well.

Today I'm considering the upcoming release by Second Wave Black Metallers, Gorgon. They're wholly unfamiliar to me.

Even though I know better, the term Black Metal still conjures up images of Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth to me, even though that's a single subset.

To begin, The Veil of Darkness is an absolute achievement. It's a very mature version of nascent 2nd Wave Black Metal. The guitars, though lacking in dynamics, create several different moods.

There's a call and response feeling to the vocals featuring a single person. The drums bring the whole record into focus. Without a drumming playing sensitively to the rest, this whole disc would fall apart.  Amazingly enough, this whole album was done by one man.

This should definitely be on your preorder list for the New Year.

RELEASE 1/25/19 PREORDER FACEBOOK


No comments:

Post a Comment