Friday, May 24, 2019

Pizza Pie Do or Die with Redbait

Redbait
From my hometown comes a similarly minded group of individuals called Redbait. They've got a blaster of a 7" coming out soon on NEW AGE RECORDS.

When you're someone who's blessed with the gift of gab and the compunction to utilize words on a more immense scale, it's never difficult to find others.

In that sense, we tend to gravitate towards those who view the world the same way... And who choose to describe their surroundings with slightly more grandiose language. Due to these reasons, Redbait has come to my attention.

Midwestern Proletarian Crust.

So let's talk crust with them.
1. Pizza is the world's most perfect food. This is not up for debate. Please define pizza as based on your geographical location.

If it were only based on my geographical location I would have to tell you that pizza is disgusting garbage. St. Louis style pizza is absolutely the worst variety I’ve ever had.

I could deal with the cracker crust, but the provel “cheese” is beyond gross, nothing should stick your teeth like that. Fortunately this crime seems to be contained in the St. Louis area and pretty much every other regional pizza is good.

2. It's going to get controversial now. Pineapple on Pizza. Why or why not?

I’m not that big on pineapple anyway and I don’t like wet toppings on pizza, so it’s a no for me, Eat it if you want but get your own pizza.

3. For literally years, my family didn't order pizza from the take out places. We made Chef Boyardee boxed pizzas. After that, we only ordered St. Louis Style from Imo's. But finally, in the LATE EIGHTIES, I had Domino's Pizza.

Tell me your tale.

As a kid Pizza Hut dominated the field, not least thanks to those personal pan pizzas from Book It. By the time I was in high school, it was mostly local places that operated out of gas stations (r.i.p. Pizza Pro).

During college it was all Papa John’s because they had a cheap delivery deal to the dorms. By the time I got to St. Louis and found out how bad the local pizza is, Little Caesar’s was having their $5 renaissance, so that was a regular purchase.

I don’t think I really had Domino’s until I was an adult, I think they’re kinda gross.

More recently I went vegan, so that really narrows down the options, but St. Louis is starting to make some headway. These days it’s pretty much Pizza Head or nothing, for me.

Never did much pizza making at home, I think the dining out or delivery aspect has always been a big part of the pizza experience for me. I don’t think the amount of labor involved scales very well to a single pizza.

4. St. Louis Style Pizza is the perfect pizza, especially if you enjoy bragging about how much pizza you can eat, but when I'm out in other parts of the country, I seek out Chicago Style Pizza. What do you look for?

I think I’ve made my feelings clear on St. Louis style pizza, so if I’m out of town it’s just comforting that I won’t run into it.

I love Chicago style, I like the big New York slice, really it’s just finding out who has the vegan options and if they have some regional flavor I’m down to try it.

5. Pepperoni started giving me heartburn. So I switched to green peppers or onions. What's your go-to topping?

Can’t go wrong with one loaded with all the veggies they have and I’m always down to try whatever fake meats are available, but pepperoni, black olives, and mushrooms is the standard.

6. What do you look for in pairing beer with your pie?

We were a pizza and red wine family for a long time, but that’s only really satisfying with delivery. If there’s a local pale ale I’m happy, but I’m not super picky.

Pizza Head and City Wide is a strong match.

No comments:

Post a Comment