Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Pizza Pie Do or Die with Hath

Hath
It's time to talk about pizza one more time, and then there will be several more times because pizza is delicious.

But going through it all, this pizza column was answered by Willowtip recording artists, Hath.

It was needed to go back and refamiliarize myself with the band and it occurred to me, why don't have I have this on vinyl yet?

Of Rot and Ruin is an album full of black metal that's more about songs than it is being brutal and blasphemous.

Don't be like me.

Get your copy on BANDCAMP today.

But now let's talk about the circled square of deliciousness...pizza. (Unless you're talking about STL Style Pizza, then it is a squared circle because the pieces are cut into squares.)

1. Pizza is the world's most perfect food. This is not up for debate. Please define pizza as based on your geographical location.

Location: New Jersey: Pizza is a baked dish consisting primarily of dough, tomato sauce and cheese. You can include additional ingredients such as pepperoni, peppers, onions, anchovies etc… but it must contain dough, tomato sauce and cheese*.

Pizza can be made with fluffier thick dough or thin crispy dough. A pizza is also only to be shaped in a circle. An oblong or square shape is not a pizza, that is a flatbread and anyone who disagrees or claims they are the same are wrong.

Lastly, a respectable NJ tri-state area large pie should never cost more than $14-16 for a plain and no more than $20-24 with toppings and should NEVER be eaten with utensils

*The only exception to this rule are white pies

2. It's going to get controversial now. Pineapple on Pizza. Why or why not?

Yes! I used to be vocally anti-pineapple on pizza only until recently.

I was in Hawaii and had pizza with pulled pork and pineapple on it and it was delicious. The way pineapple caramelizes when cooked compliments the savory and acidic flavors of the tomato sauce.

What toppings pineapple pairs well with is up for debate.

3. For literally years, my family didn't order pizza from the take out places. We made Chef Boyardee boxed pizzas. After that, we only ordered St. Louis Style from Imo's. But finally in the LATE EIGHTIES, I had Domino's Pizza. Tell me your tale

Pizza has always been there and I honestly can’t remember the first time I had it. Growing up in NJ, there was never a question of “is there pizza” but “whose pizza is the best” (NY vs NJ vs PA).

Also the answer to that is if the water comes from the Hudson Valley, it’s good pizza. Every birthday party had pizza and when I got older every late night out ended with pizza.

Domino’s and Pizza Hut are fine in desperate times but for every Domino’s there were a dozen mom-and-pop pizza places.

4. St. Louis Style Pizza is the perfect pizza, especially if you enjoy bragging about how much pizza you can eat, but when I'm out in other parts of the country, I seek out Chicago Style Pizza.

What do you look for?

A competent pie; dough that’s not soggy with a good crust, flavorful sauce and cheese that doesn’t fall off when you pick it up.

I can respect regional twists on the classic but it has to be done well. I’ve never had St. Louis style and Chicago is a perfectly acceptable take.

The worst I’ve had was in San Francisco. I ordered a pie with peppers and onions and somehow they made a scalding hot bowl of dough with uncooked cheese and a pool of water on top.

The best outside of NJ goes to Montreal. I’ve had their pizza at nice restaurants and drunk dollar slices and they always hit the spot. I’ll chalk it up to them using the same water.

5. Pepperoni, started giving me heartburn. So I switched to green peppers or onions. What's your go to topping

Pepperoni is a classic go to. Sausage, peppers and onions is a favorite combo and I’ve started seeing buffalo chicken pop up on more menus.

I’ll eat almost anything on a pizza except mushrooms and artichokes.

6. What do you look for in pairing beer with your pie

Something flavorful but not too bold or heavy.

A good lager like Yuengling or a pilsner pairs really well. IPAs are too flavorful and and stouts are too heavy.

If I’m eating pizza, I’m there to overeat and taste pizza, not a bottle of hops.

No comments:

Post a Comment