Friday, July 12, 2019

Vinyloscopy with Lasse of As I May

As I May
On July 26th, Finnish Metal band, As I May, will be releasing their sophomore record on Rockshots Records.

You can check out My Own Creations via the singles on YOUTUBE.

They're a band that walks the line between metal and metalcore while still holding a melodic edge.

Lasse, guitars and vocals, of As I May took some time to answer our vinyl column. He might just be the first Finn to get in on our Vinyloscopy.

Before we to the records, go like As I May on FACEBOOK.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?


In Flames I the mask. I think that album is made in old school style. Not so much plugins etc. Also here in Finland is analog guru names Anssi Kippo. 

He records all to tape with vinyl in mind, so Ensiferums two paths is a great sounding album. Also, it seems that those 180-gram vinyl sound really great. 

I have new Of Mice Of Men vinyl and its really huge sounding.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

I have always loved album art and listened to album in full from beginning to end. When I was a young kid I chose always album by its cover. 

It needed to have something to me, that I took it home and listened to it. It was nice fun to scroll album in the library and then rent it. Not knowing what was in it.

3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

 In these days I buy albums that I can listen time after time. So yes there is a vinyl worthy category. 

I have collected many great albums in my collection. 

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my early 70's Sherwood Receiver, with a 70's turntable and 70's 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

Danish tangent speakers and Audio-Technica at-lp5. I have a studio in my home, but I don't like to listen to albums from studio speaker. 

Those are too correct and don't have any character. Instead of speakers that have built for music listening not making of it. 

Every speaker has built in EQ that gives a different vibe to music.

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

Yeah. I like to read lyrics and look at the album art. There are amazing album arts and its nice to see that bands put their efforts to album cover in these days. 

We used Slovakian guy Jan Handzus to our new My Own Creations album. I did find him from interned. Just so something there that stopped me to take a look at his art. 

That`s amazing in these days, you can find a lot of staff from the internet and from all over the world.

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

Well, what you can say to that. Albums are in that format which they are created for as vinyl etc. There is some magic happening in vinyl. 

Musicians are going to back old ways to record music. I think we have reached the peak of music evolution. Bands are using their real amps etc. in studios to get individual sounds. 

People want to connect them self to music. They want to have something in their hands what is real. Not just digital space. The number of vinyl selling these days will tell that. 

Number is going higher and higher by the year. People cant be wrong 


7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuek on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Well, I like to see bands live. Don`t really buy live albums. 

But if somebody has captured amazing live show to an album that`s great. Like some old Deep Purple albums when the band is in its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment