Tuesday, August 11, 2020

5 Min Origin Stories with Evertrapped

 

Let me be honest briefly, and then I'll bet back to the awkward metal takes.... 

My personal computer died a few weeks back when I spilled beer on it. I've now unlocked hoosier level 5 I think.

Anyway, here's to being back happy and writing hard. 

Today, we're talking to Evertrapped again. It's fun to get to know these bands in a new and odd way.

They've gotten in on our Pandemic Dispatches and Classic Spins, but let's find out more about these Montreallers on the eve of the Montreal Canadiens returning to the NHL Playoffs.

While you're reading, might I suggest a bit of reading music? Check their latest VIDEO.

1. Is there an event you can point to you that made you say, wow, that's the instrument I want to play? Not like guitar or drums, but the reason why you play the model you do?

Well, now I just do vocals but when I was younger I played rhythm guitar in most of the bands I was in and I always loved an SG. 

And in fact, I usually insisted on using an Epiphone and not an actual Gibson. I figure it was because my old man had a Gibson SG which I believe was a '69 and that was the first guitar I ever played. 

But Epiphones were all I could afford then and I just stuck with it. 

2. How do you write a song?

In our case, we do not collectively write our songs. Our guitarist and composer Fred Dupuis writes the entire song and then we add our flavor over the top later and I write the lyrics and vocals once it's finished. 

So it's really just Fred writing it and we come in later.   

3. How many concept records do you own? Could you ever write one?

We all have many. It depends on what defines a real concept album but we all have several. Usually, we don't write concept albums but in the case of our upcoming release The Last Extinction it ended up becoming one and it wasn't' planned. 

The lyrics ended up following an overall theme in the end and as a result, it became a concept album depicting a certain apocalyptic point of view.  

4. Who's influence is most evident in your music? The least?

We all have bands we listen to that do not factor into what we do in this band. I'm sure everyone does. But the most influential is for the majority any death to melodic death out of Europe has a heavy influence in the stuff we do. 

There are so many bands, but bands like Arch Enemy, In Flames, Fleshgod Apocalypse, etc... 

5. Which one of your songs is the one your the most proud of?

Realistically we're proud of all of our songs. I figure most bands must say the same thing. 

But I suppose if we had to choose we'd say the singles otherwise they probably wouldn't have been chosen to be singles and in the case of our upcoming release that would be Sorrow (Nothing More In Between) and Truth Behind Disorder.

6. Sum up your latest record for us. 

Once it was established that we had inadvertently written a concept album the idea was that this would be a collection of nine anthems for the end of days. 

So to sum it up, if the apocalypse does happen in our lifetime, we hope you crank this one up when it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment