Friday, August 14, 2020

Review Round Up 8/14/20

Mortal by Necrot (8/28/20)

If you don't me a little bit of personal repetition, one of the greatest things about metal is just how underground it really is.

It wasn't until this lock down that I personally heard Bolt Thrower and now it's time to finally listen to another metal band that's nearly universally lauded.

So yes, this is the first time Necrot has ever seeped into my earholes and brain.

It's certainly what I expected and a little bit of what I didn't expect. The band is aptly named and they sound like decay.

They've got an amazing old school feel without ever sounding nostalgic for the good old days. The guitar solos particularly make me warm and fuzzy.

Vocally it's just astounding. Raw and pained.

If you're looking for some mid-tempo death metal, this is probably a record you should be checking out.

Rating A- Bandcamp

Charred Field of Slaugher
by Bear Mace (8/14/20)

There are few kinds of music in this world that hold my attention like old school death metal. Bear Mace is doing their best to hold onto the glorious art form.

In the years since Deicide, Obituary, and Cannibal Corpse have graced wax and stages, the music has gotten faster, heavier, and thoroughly obliterated by the loudness wars.

What we have hear is a band that's taken that attitude and slowed the roll a just a little bit. This isn't an album full of hyper fast death riffs and that staccato picking the world has become accustomed to. It's thicky and riffy, but largely mid tempo.

The guitars sound like finely tuned chainsaws and cut through the din. The vocals are full and touched with a bit of echo.

Glorious solos and machine gun drums. This is the severed head of chicken soup for the blackened soul.

Also, they write songs about bear attacks. 

Rating A Bandcamp

The Great Hatred
by Aphonic Threnody (10/16/20)

Funny story. My iTunes has been mahoobered for about two years, because I mostly listen to vinyl anway, but with the arrival of my new PC, I was able to get it moving again.

Who but this band came up on shuffle. Seriously, that's funny. 

So, the first atmospheric death doom metal band I have ever spent any significant time with has chosen a path.

This album has far less atmospheric riffage and in its place is more Slow style doom metal. This strikes me as a focusing up of the music. There's also more melody, more emotion, and more blast beats. (I'm not certain if the other one had any!)

This stylistic change pleases me, because this is more up my personal alley. A little variation in the mix is always welcome for this reviewer.

Even the cover art is different. This album has an entirely different feeling from what I remember of this band. 

The only knock I can give on this one is that it's not being released on vinyl. 

Rating A Bandcamp



No comments:

Post a Comment