Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Vinyloscopy with Dethlehem's Brutalitus the Bloodbeard

BANDCAMP that I think you would do well to listen to.

Fair warning, the vinyl edition is edited a bit as it doesn't have the story elements in there as well, because there's just too much!

This is their fourth album, and it's time to find out they're listening to records.

Let's get it on!

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on 
Brutalitus: Hmmm that's a tough one because so many albums sound better on vinyl. If I had to choose ONE I would probably say.....

This probably has to do with the fact that it was released in 1969 and the entire experience of hearing it on vinyl really transports you to another realm!

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

Brutalitus: The format obviously has limitations, but the awesome packaging with all of the artwork is what made me want to start collecting vinyl

That huge, tangible object evokes a feeling that is hard to describe! I still listen to music via streaming platforms like Spotify and such, but vinyl slows you down in a world where everything is so fast paced anymore. 

If you're listening to a record, that is WHAT you're doing! It isn't something secondary or in the background.

3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

Brutalitus: There is definitely a "vinyl worthy" category for me. If it's an album that holds a specific place in my heart then I would definitely want it in as many formats as possible! 

I also really enjoy the collecting aspect to it. Limited runs with cool see through records and splatter designs! I probably have more video game soundtracks on vinyl than anything since I'm also a huge gamer. 

I don't buy everything on wax because I feel like there are some genres of music that don't belong there, but if the package is enticing enough then I don't mind breaking that rule!

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my 1971 Sherwood 7100-S, Receiver,  1975 Pioneer PL-200, and 70's Sansui 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

Brutalitus: Unfortunately I'm currently moving and don't have anything setup anywhere :(

He currently has an Audio Technica Lp120 with a Shure M97xE Cartridge and some B&W bookshelf speakers hooked into a Onkyo receiver. 

Basically, I just want something that gets me up and running!

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

I feel like the format is very accepted in Ghorulsalem.

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Brutalitus: I'm honestly not a huge fan of live recordings, but If I had to choose it would probably be Slayer - Decade Of Aggression: Live. 

Actually, I'm pretty sure that is my ONLY live album on 

8. Tell me about your latest vinyl release.

Brutalitus: We are fortunate to have TWO 
Since we are a smaller band, they are both extremely limited edition and feature 8 tracks which span two records each. MAELSTROM OF THE EMERALD DRAGON is our heaviest, most progressive album to date and I couldn't be more proud of it! 

It tells the tale of our journey to defeat the emerald dragon! Along the way we face MIND FLAYERS, MIMICS, GELATINOUS CUBES, and of course a DRAGON!
DESTROYERS OF THE REALM (2015) is where I joined the warriors of Dethlehem! We traveled to a dark tower in order to defeat my cursed brother, KNIGHTMARE!
They are both currently available on 

9. Listening to records is my comfort food for my soul. As mentioned earlier, I have a living room dedicated to it. I normally drink a beer or two whilst listening to music I love. Describe your normal listening experience.

I really focus on the experience when spinning and appreciate how unique the format makes certain albums feel. I'll put one on when I get a minute to relax, so it goes hand in hand with that mental state.

No comments:

Post a Comment