Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Vinyloscopy with Tyler from Capra

Well, did you know that folks also dig records and dig expounding on their records? Well, today undergoing a Vinyloscopy is Lafayette, LA natives, Capra.

Lafayette is one of the cities in Louisiana that I wouldn't be able to name, so, you win Tico Torres.

You win this round.

Whilst their working on their debut LP, they have recently dropped a digital 7". You can check that out over here on their BANDCAMP page.

It's just about the right length to listen to whilst reading below...

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

There are so many that I can name but I remember the first time I could actually tell the difference, and was blown away, was listening to "Bitches Brew" by Miles Davis. 

Each instrument on that album resonated through so perfectly and in its right place that listening to that album digitally for me now is out of the question. 

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

I'm a HUGE fan of album artwork and an even bigger fan of supporting my friends. My collection started with booking my friends bands with touring bands and picking up their music at shows. 

I believe I had somewhere around 40 albums on vinyl before I even owned a record player. Now I have 2 record players and a few hundred records. 

3. For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

I absolutely have a vinyl worthy category with the exception of a few bands. 

I tend to hunt down the albums that really resonated with me in my youth and made me who I am as a musician - and some of them are very hard to find. 

I also have a few bands that I go out of my way to own the entire discography (ie: Every Time I Die, Botch, Norma Jean, Fugazi). My collection is a alot of hardcore, punk, and early 2000's screamo, but I've also got a ton of Rush, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, etc. If they shaped me, I have it. 

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my 1971 Sherwood 7100-S, Receiver,  1975 Pioneer PL-200, and 70's Sansui 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

Well, my setup definitely isn't that cool! I have a few cheap record players that get the job done and some old-school Harmon Kardon speakers. 

One of them is kept in the living room with all the records and the other is in my room for when it's time to lay down and stare at the ceiling.

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

I go through each and every little thing that's included with each record I buy. I don't tend to read the lyrics as I'm listening but that's just because I've always been more of a riff guy. 

I'll use it as reference if I hear something and become curious (or can't understand what was said). I thoroughly enjoy lyrics and learning the story behind them, but when I'm blasting an album for the first time, I want to feel the music, the energy, and the mood. 

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

Who says that?! Owning music on vinyl is the best way to own music. 

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Great Black Sabbath album but for me it's "Exit Stage Left" by Rush. 

I've always been slightly obsessed with this band and the way they write music. I remember the first time I heard them and thinking "there's no way they can do all of this live." 

I was very wrong. They're musical sorcerers. I don't think I'll ever have a different answer for this question. 

8. Tell me about your latest vinyl release.

We're working on it! Our first full length album is finished and should (hopefully) be released before the end of the year and will absolutely be available on vinyl!

9. Listening to records is my comfort food for my soul. As mentioned earlier, I have a living room dedicated to it. I normally drink a beer or two whilst listening to music I love. Describe your normal listening experience.

Unless I'm listening to an album for the first time, I typically do other things while it's playing in the background. 

Depending on what I'm doing will decide the mood I'm looking for. If I'm cleaning the house, it's gotta be fast as hell. If I'm cooking, I need something more relaxing. 

Majority of the time, I'm usually working on some sort of art or graphic design while listening to music and whatever I pick tends to show itself in whatever I'm working on. It's a very cool thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment