Tuesday, October 31, 2017

High Reeper Digs Deaper

We're going to take some time getting to know about the likes and dislikes of some of the bands that are currently out there.

We've got a standard series of questions and we're gonna see how everybody feels. Up first, High Reeper.

1. The first album I ever owned was? 

Kiss Destroyer. I was born in '72 and I had a cousin who was a total head/stoner and was five years older than me. 

When I was five he gave me that record. He turned me on to music and art. I used to stare at that cover and think that those were just about the toughest four dudes I had ever seen.


2. My favorite album of all time is....

Right now? It's the first Black Sabbath record. Everything about it. When I first heard it I couldn't even process it it was so heavy and unlike anything else I had ever heard. 

The playing is so good and is as unpretentious as can be. The guitar and bass playing are off the charts. I love that it was recorded and mixed in a flash and it's just the best record ever.


3. The album with the best art is...

Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous. That record cover is so fucking rock and roll it's just unreal. Just an incredible record.


4. My favorite heavy metal album of all time is...

Slayer's Reign in Blood. When that came out it blew my mind. The thing about Slayer is that there's nothing cheesy or uncool about them. 

They were always tough as fuck and had metal's John Bonham in Dave Lombardo. The first time I heard Post Mortem I almost shit myself. 

That record and Seasons in the Abyss are just like the first two Sabbath records for me in that I will never be able to get enough of them. The record never gets old and will always be relevant. That record is also important to me because I'm an engineer/producer and Andy Wallace engineered that record. 

He is my favorite contemporary engineer by a mile. You can't find too many engineers who can engineer and mix a Slayer record and then turn around and engineer and mix a Jeff Buckley record. The guy is a fucking boss.


5. My favorite album of all time (Any genre is)

This is not a fair question haha. But if you're going to make me give you an answer I will say Odessey and Oracle by the Zombies (I didn't misspell that they guy who made the record cover did).

This is record is kind of like an English version of Pet Sounds but a lot cooler to me. The recording and playing is superb. 

I learned a lot about songwriting by learning these songs, especially learning the piano parts on guitar. When you learn piano songs on guitar, it helps you realize the impact that your left hand (meaning the bass note) has on the chord that you're playing.

For example, you can play a B minor and its its fine but if you keep playing that b minor w your right hand and move your left hand to G instead of B, well now you're playing a G maj7. Learning piano songs on guitar or even piano will also inform your bass playing obviously. 

I can't really overstate the impact this record had on me.

6. My favorite live album of all time is...

Lou Reed's Rock n Roll Animal. Hunter and Wagner were just killing the guitar and their guitar tone is fucking awesome. 

The arrangement of Heroin is pretty mind blowing as is the intro to Sweet Jane. Some of the best live guitar sounds for sure and just some of the best guitar tones period. Of course the first Black Sabbath record also had an incredible guitar sound and also the song Toad off of Fresh Cream. 

That may be my fave guitar sound of all time. I'd like to give honorable mentions to Humble Pie/Rockin the Fillmore and Thin Lizzy/Live and Dangerous but that record is barely live at all but it's still amazing.

7. My favorite album format is.....


Visually it's vinyl and it's not even close. Album art is called that because it is that. Who wants to look at a fucking CD or cassette cover?

It's a joke. A vinyl LP cover is moving and badass. Sonically for me, it's digital by a mile. I came up on tape and I grew up on vinyl but I love the clarity of digital and I know I'm gonna get slammed for saying that but that's how I feel. 

Yes I'm a gear nerd, like total fucking gear nerd but I'm also a pragmatist.

No comments:

Post a Comment