Thursday, June 27, 2019

Classic Spins with Blind Samson of Coffin Torture

Coffin Torture
It's time we check in with one of those most gruesome death metal bands in the world.

Let's look at the bands we have to pick from today, and South Carolina's (wait) Coffin Torture (HELL YES!) is ready to rock us to our bones with all of their death metal glory right?

Some metal fans don't realize just how brutal the Buckeye State of South Carolina is. 

The Capital of SC, Stockholm, has put out such amazing Tampa Bay Death Metal bands like Carcass, Manowar, and the heaviest and most brutal of them all....Metallica.

So, while your checking out the unholy blast beats of Coffin Torture, let's talk music.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 

Blind Samson: My favorite concept album is Mastodon's 'Leviathan'. I bought it when it first came out and quickly became obsessed with it. I had never heard anything even close to how that album sounded. 

Totally blown away! Still return to it over and over.


 2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.

Tell me about your favorite live record?


Blind Samson: I have a bootleg of Blind Faith 'Live at Hyde Park' that's really great. Ginger Baker....Clapton....Steve Winwood....doesn't get much better than that. 


3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad? 


Blind Samson: 'Baptizing' by Seldom Scene.  Also dig into some Rev. Gary Davis and Muddy Waters. 

That's what the blues is for. It really does make you feel better when you have a bad day. 


4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love?


Blind Samson: Alot of people(including Michael Gira) seem to not like 'The Burning World' by Swans, but I really like that album. 

It's not sledgehammer to the face Swans or later day dark americana Swans so it's hard to pin down. Sounds great, great songs and produced by Bill Laswell. 


5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. 

Which ones do you have in your collection?  


Blind Samson: Don't really have any live whole album live albums like that. Once i've got the studio album, I usually just leave it at that unless it's a live album with songs from a bunch of different albums on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment