Monday, June 10, 2019

Classic Spins with Jon Howard of Imonolith

Imonolith
Have you ever wanted some of your favorite and most popular (and therefore best) modern metal acts to get together and write tunes?

What if The Devin Townsend Project, Strapping Young Lad, Threat Signal, and the mighty Fear Factory all found themselves in the studio and recording?

Well, then TECHNICALLY, from a certain point of view, you'd have Imonolith. This Canadian five piece has members from all of those bands, and even more.


You can check out the video for their latest single HOLLOW.

But for now, let's talk about music with John Howard.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

My favourite concept album has always been Obsolete from Fear Factory. About technology and machines taking over mankind. 


The machines we've created are now taking control and destroying us. It couldn't be any truer honestly. 

2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of anyone.

Tell me about your favorite live record?
For metal, it would be Pantera Live 101 Proof. That shit just fuckin owns!! The energy and aggression Pantera had at that time couldn't be matched…. It's a very entertaining concert and I still crank it up till this day.  

My other all-time favourite would be Alice In Chains Unplugged. Flawless performance, and gives me chills every time I hear it. 


There was an amazing vibe captured in that room during that show… 

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?
Well, I typically listen to bands like Chimaira and Whitechapel when I wanna get pumped up, usually blast that shit at the gym. Super energetic and pissed off music gets me hyped. 


When I'm sad? not too sure… That's probably when I pick up my own guitar and write some depressing songs. 

I've written a lot of those! haha

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc.

What's the strange one that you love?
I guess people wouldn't really see me listening to rap, but I've owned this Big Pun CD called Capital Punishment and I love rocking that out. 


There was also a time where I listened to Lady GaGa but we won't get into that. 
.
5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?
I don't think I own a re-recorded album honestly… Or a full album played live. With my band Threat Signal, we played our first album front to back at our 10-year anniversary show. 


I totally should have recorded that!! Would have been great to release. But as for a band re-recording an album, I think that's kinda weird. Just move on man. 

That's a certain time in history that shouldn't be messed with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment