Thursday, June 6, 2019

Vinyloscopy with Centuries of Decay

Centuries of Decay
If it's been a little while since you've heard some atmospheric metal, you may wish to take the time to check out Centuries of Decay.

You might find that their name and their style don't necessarily make you think of what most people would refer to as Atmospheric Metal, but that doesn't really mean a whole lot.

They play loud and hard, but they create a vibe...or an atmosphere of brutality.

If you're lucky enough to be Canadian, you can glimpse these fellows live on the stages starting next month as they trek across the provinces of their home and native land.

July 1 - Sudbury, ON - The Asylum
July 3 - Winnipeg, MB - Park Theatre
July 4 - Regina, SK - The Exchange 
July 5 - Calgary, AB - County Line Saloon - Decimated Metal Festival
July 6 - Kelowna, BC - Muninn's Post
July 7 - Vancouver, BC - The Astoria
July 12 - Armstrong, BC - Armstrong Metal Fest (Centuries of Decay only)
July 13 - Edmonton, AB - The Rendezvous Pub
July 14 - Saskatoon, SK - Black Cat Tavern

If you're trying to decide about that...check out their latest on BANDCAMP.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?


I have Nero Di Marte's Second album 'Derivae' 2 LP. It was released in 2014, but was recorded entirely to tape with no digital processing. 

It's a little difficult to get a hold of this album, but I find that it sounds incredible on vinyl.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

Music is so easy to get a hold of today. Even the most obscure bands are easily found online with minimal digging. With the advent of streaming, access is easy, but there is no sense of ownership, no physical attachment. 

Vinyl packaging is huge and so is the artwork. What I like most about vinyl is that it demands attention. You can't just throw on music and leave the room. You'll have to flip the record eventually. 

Most vinyl albums also include a download code, so it's really a win-win.

3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worth, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

I only buy vinyl from bands that really make an impression on me. Mostly because of cost, but also because a lot of modern vinyl (from metal bands at least) isn't the greatest sounding. 

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to listen to and has a certain character, but in reality, it's usually just the digital-limited master with less bass and +6db of noise. 

I'm sure a lot of original pressings that were strictly analog sound amazing.

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my early 70's receiver, with a 70's turntable and 70's 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

I have my setup in my only living room. I have a Pro-Ject Debut turntable running into a Yamaha R-n602 network receiver and playing out to a pair of Mission LX-2 speakers. 

For an apartment, it's a really convenient setup. 

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

If it's my first listen, or if I haven't listened to the album in a while, then yes.  

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

I want to support the artists that I like. And vinyl is a fun and unique way of experiencing their music.   

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Sadly, I do not have any live pressings. Hopefully soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment