Thursday, August 1, 2019

Classic Spins with Ritchie Randall of Gravehuffer

Gravehuffer
In the Southwestern corner of the State of Missouri, you'll find a little city called Joplin, MO. Pop: 52,288.

It's about four hours away from where I sit right now, well add an extra 20 minutes as it'll take me a moment to get down to Interstate 44.

I'm reasonably certain there's something about Joplin that's famous, but I can't seem to remember what it is right now.

Perhaps Gravehuffer, a local Doom Metal band, will be what puts Joplin on the map outside of the Show Me State.

Don't forget to hit them up over at BANDCAMP. Now, let's find out what they're listening to.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 

Hey there! My name is Ritchie Randall and I play guitar in a band called Gravehuffer. 

Ok, here we go. My favorite concept album is Queensryche's 'Operation: Mindcrime.'

It was the perfect timing for me, as I was really getting into music as a total package. I also just started playing guitar at the time it was released, so the many textures throughout were fascinating to me. 

I remember sitting down and reading the lyrics as the music was playing and just totally getting sucked in to the story. I could imagine all the scenes playing in my head in a continuous timeline, very much like a movie. 

The story was very well written, great characters, awesome music (pretty much a soundtrack in this case), and the album art all completed the presentation. The other thing that stood out was that the music totally holds up on it's own, and each song makes sense by themselves as well.  

2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.


Tell me about your favorite live record? 

Judas Priest 'Unleashed In The East' is the reason I am here now talking to you! That record changed my life. I vividly remember digging through my dad's vinyl and seeing the band on the cover and thinking, 'What is this?!' 

I was around 6 or 7 and this was in 81 or 82. 

I had to listen to it immediately. I got the record out of the sleeve, put it on the turntable, put the needle down and 'Exciter' starts baring out of the speakers! 

I had never heard music like that before. I remember looking at the cover as the music was playing and thinking 'What is that guy doing with that V shaped guitar?!'. I loved it! I had to have one! I had to play guitar! 

Thank you Judas Priest!

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad? 

 When I'm angry, it's always something aggressive. Anything from Judas Priest - Painkiller to Slayer - Reign In Blood. Sad, I usually listen to stuff like Katatonia, Opeth, etc.

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love?

Judas Priest (again) Nostradamus. I recall listening to that album SO MUCH for quite a while and still go back to it fairly often. 

It's another concept album that is more about the mans life than what he was famous for, which were his prophecies. Such great moods and textures throughout. I'm not one of these people that have short attention spans. 

I really enjoy getting into a story, an album, anything that has a lot of depth to it. I though Priest did a great job with the story telling and the music. 

I also like the fact that they used a combination of real strings, keyboards, and even went back to using guitar synths a la Turbo. 

I tend to like bands that branch out and experiment. I usually don't pay as much attention to bands that keep doing the same style album after album. It just gets boring to me.

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection? 

I have so many! Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' live that was recorded during the original The Wall tour in 1980. Judas Priest did all of 'British Steel' in 2009 that I actually saw that tour live. 

Loved that!  

Also when Dream Theater did 'Scenes From A Memory' in 2000. Saw that tour as well. Masterpiece concept album. Enjoyed reminiscing about my favorite albums and such. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment