Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Concert Review: Master with Claustrofobia and Dusk 8/16/19

Paul Speckman of Master
It doesn't seem likely that my having a routine when it comes to concerts would make me unique. This one went as many of them do, especially when the intrepid Danny Nichols is in attendance. The big difference tonight was that I drove instead of him.

Danny, myself, and my daughter started our evening at Steve's Hot Dog's Tower Grove East. If you live in St. Louis and don't love this place, I'd ask you to kindly leave.

After dinner, it was time to drop off the kiddo and head down to Fubar. She's been to a few shows, but this didn't seem like the best idea for her first club show.

Upon arrival at Fubar, I did the first thing I needed to get done, I walked over and bought a Master T-shirt. Now, this would seem to be a breach of journalistic ethics, but I already like Master, so if they laid an egg, I'd say so and still proudly wear my new bad ass death metal t-shirt.

In 2019, it's harder for musicians to make a buck on music. Being a guy who routinely buys between 8-10 records each month is abnormal, so if nothing else, make sure you buy a t-shirt. The last two shows I went to, I dropped $30 and got TWO shirts.That's right, $15 each.

That's cheaper than Hot Topic innit?

With my new t-shirt firmly in hand and then squarely placed on the seat of the Death Metal Prius, I nabbed a beer. Goose Island IPA.

If you ask me, Fubar could do with a bit of a better beer selection, but a semi-craft IPA, in a pint can no less, will get the job done.

Speckmann (left) and Shea (right)
First up was the local support. They took the stage wholly covered in corpse paint and bits of armor. Yup, their attire was clearly that of a prog-metal band.

They started off the show saying something along the lines of WE. ARE. BLANC MANGE! (Danny asked after the show. Their name is Blackwell.)

Honestly, that didn't seem the right name for a black metal band, but who am I to judge?

This trio of Black Metal power is peopled with kids. As a 43  year old metal journalist, there's no other way I can describe those born in and around the turn of the millennium.

But, like The Who said, the kids are alright. Their brand of black metal was a fusion of the black metal/punk rock guitars and a Rush Style Rhythm section. Keep an eye on them.

Up next was Dusk. Apparently, the band took a full on Rip Van Winkle. They took a twenty year dirt nap and they're out on the road again. If I didn't know better, I'd wear that Un were big fans of this Green Bay Quartet.

Here we got into the death metal part of the show, but it wasn't precisely death metal, but doom death, perhaps funeral doom metal with a side of maiming, but the vocals, growled.

There weren't really any guitar solos...

It wasn't fast. It was heavy, but I wouldn't say it was brutal or kvlt. They were just kind of there. There wasn't anything special in their techniques. Shit, they were even using tracks on stage. Honestly, how does this make sense that they followed a rambunctious black metal band and were opening for legendary proto-death metal?

Furthermore, why in the world was I googling them as the show went on? Why was I disappointed that their bandcamp page didn't have any vinyl?

They were kind of wrong for that show, but really, wasn't a black metal band in corpse paint? In the end, they were the surprise of the night for me. They were the kind of band I'd start should I ever get a bit of motivation.

I suppose, that's why I flipped out my credit card when my cash for the night was tapped out. They had some vinyl on the merch table. In fact, I'm spinning it now.

Damn, son.

The final opening act of the night was Claustrofobia. This Brazilian trio, like the others, I'd never heard before and wow. Their brand of death metal was somewhere between Sepultura and Metallica.

The big difference was that once they started, they were on like Donkey Kong. Pure all out aggression. This is when the circle pits began in earnest.

It quickly became that kind of party very quickly and a circle pit party don't stop..at least until the lights go up.

They gave us exactly what we'd want out of an extreme metal band. Balls out fury, exquisite musicianship, and a hair whip that would fit in well on any anime based on hair.

Then came Master...

Now, this is a death metal band that's been there, done that, and sold me the t-shirt. This is precisely why Death Metal is one of my absolute favorite genres of music... When the legends come to your town, you'll be able to look them in the eyes when they're playing.

As Master is, shall we say experienced, like any metal band worth their salt, they are tighter than a frog's ass, save a couple false starts here and there.

Paul Speckmann is Master for all intents and purposes and he's centering a pair of gents who crushed the songs and brought them back to life. Pat Shea on guitar and Ruston Grouse on the drums.

Speckmann was in fantastic voice. Shea ripped that guitar to shreds. Grouse was able to go from zero to AK-47 in the blink of an eye.

From top to bottom, Friday night at Fubar kicked ass.


No comments:

Post a Comment