Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Classic Spins with Chrisitan M. Theriault of Backstabber

Backstabber
It's time to had back to less traveled areas of the Great White North.

Here in the States, when we hear the name Quebec spoken...immediately, we think of the very cosmopolitan city of Montreal.

Some of us hockey fans will also consider Quebec City too, but there are a great number of other square miles...I mean kilometers in the Province of Quebec to explore.

Today's subject, Backstabber is from the town of Rouyn Noranda, PQ.

I have no idea where that is. You can learn a bit about the place on Wikipedia though. There's no shortage of educational opportunities at their BANDCAMP page as well.

But let's learn about records now.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

Christian M. Theriault (Guitars/Vocals): I have always been attracted by concept albums and if I had to choose one, I think I'd go with Death's Design by Diabolical Masquerade. 

It's an absolute masterpiece of 90+ songs that are interconnected through a wide variety of sounds, ambiance, and emotions. I have always been very fond of Dan Swanö and Anders Nystrom's works. 

2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of anyone.

Tell me about your favorite live record?

CMT: I can't oversee Martyr's Extracting the Core since I was front row headbanging my teenager's life as they were recording the show and they are such talented musicians. 

I also really like Imperial Live Ceremony from Emperor, once again flawless musicianship combined with awesome mix makes this Live record one of the best Live performance of the band. 

When Satan Lives from Deicide is also a notable live album that I go to listen to some classics rather than their album versions. 

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

CMT: Usually when I'm angry my go-to band would be Hatebreed, I love their riffs, they make no compromises. Their music is like audio testosterone straight into your ears which makes it the perfect music to let off steam. 

When I'm sad I crank up Night is the New Day from Katatonia; this album is the perfect blend of brutal tones and sweet despair, my inner metalhead loves the production of the album while the vibe just soothes the pain away. 

The lyrics are amazingly imaging and well written, my favorite tracks are The Longest Year and Day and Then the Shade. 

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love?

CMT: Well I think I may have the same tendency! Let's talk about Mayhem's The Grand Declaration of War since it has been re-mixed lately. 

Back in the day when it was released, the response was horrible but I always loved the way the album flows and the concept behind it. At the time it was really avant-garde for a black metal band to incorporate electronic elements, more so for "The True" Mayhem. 

Also, talking about the remix, would it have been the original mix, I think the album would have had a better response since the drum sounds a little more natural! 
.
5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

CMT: I can't remember how I got my hands on this since it's not one of my favorite band at all but I brought Dream Theater's Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York back in the day and I really enjoyed it more than I would think of! I didn't know the original album at the time as I was discovering them through this revisit. 

Also; there's an artist here in Quebec called Sylvain Cossette which made several covers albums from the '70s and I must say there are some amazing gems on these albums too!

No comments:

Post a Comment