Thursday, June 20, 2019

Vinyloscopy With Pastrami of KOSM

KOSM
Once more into the breach we'll go with KOSM.

What more can I tell you that you don't already know?

Well, let's keep it simple.  Our friends are from Canadian Florida. That's right, pals, they're from the greatest city in the world to have not won a Stanley Cup in the NHL: Vancouver, British Columbia.

Now that YOUR St. Louis Blues have joined the club, we can poke fun...so LOOK OUT WINNIPEG!

Oh, I should've warned you in the first round, huh? It's uncertain if KOSM themselves are hockey fans and stereotyping is now appropriate at Glacially Musical, but Canadians LOVE hockey like Germans LOVE David Hasselhoff...so I'm going to assume.

Anyway, this hasn't been about KOSM really, but if you haven't yet, head over to their BANDCAMP page and check out their latest album, Cosmonaut. You can get that for $10 Canadian which is only $7.50 USD.

Now let's talk about records.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

For me it’s gotta be “The Wall” by Pink Floyd, there’s something about those ambient sounds that just don’t sound right on digital in my opinion.

Sitting down with a cup of coffee in the morning with that LP spinning is one of my favourite morning rituals.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

I got this ridiculously cheap broken knock off record player for about $40 that didn’t really work too well and just went to town.

I’ve always wanted to collect but didn’t really have the money until I picked up that turntable, I can’t for the life of me remember what model or brand it was but getting that really set me into motion.

3. For my old stuff, it's vinyl worth, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

Personally, I have a list of albums that if I ever find on vinyl I buy them instantly, for example, I had Laid to Rest, Relentless Mutation, Crack the Skye, Toxicity, and Leviathan on the list.

I happened to find all of those in one place in Victoria so needless to say my wallet hurt a bit after that. My general rule of thumb is that if I listen to an album on repeat for more than about a month I’ll look for it on vinyl.

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my early 70's receiver, with a 70's turntable and 70's 5-way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

Sadly I don’t have a very impressive setup, I’ve got a refurbished “Authentic” (that’s the brand) turntable from the 70s and Edifier R1700BT speaker from Amazon.

Shockingly the speakers sound amazing and I’m on a budget so they do the trick for me.

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

All the time, if I’m just sitting and listening to an album one of my favourite things to do is really intently listen and try to pick out influences and overall understand it on a deeper level.

Inserts and lyrics really help plus I find it really entertaining.

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

I tell them to mind their own damn business, let people do whatever they’re into and don’t fuck with them for it.

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Honestly, I don’t have any live albums on vinyl but if Zeal & Ardor release their Live in London album on vinyl I’d have to put my money on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment