Tuesday, February 10, 2015

BONUS REVIEW: "Gore Metal: A Necrospective 1998-2015" by Exhumed

Gore Metal....
It's been a bit too long since we've had any classic death metal around here.

Due to my vacation, my latest business trip, and more I am still behind in my reviews and I have missed some, what I consider to be, important reviews.

Today I received an email that this record is out today and after having seen them open for Carcass and Obituary in November, I couldn't let this pass without my having mentioned it.

I became a fan of death metal in the heady early days of the Tampa Bay scene. A classmate of mine had Napalm Death, Carcass, Entombed, and many more.

In those pre-internet days, we didn't have the ability to learn about other bands as easily as we do today. So, long running death metal masters, Exhumed never arrived into my record collection. In fact, I'd never heard of them until they hit the stage on November 2nd.

Exhumed
I really wish I'd heard of them sooner.

Let's skip a bit of my bemoaning the past.

Today's album is a classic album regrooved. That means instead of simply re-releasing the album, they re-recorded it.

It was felt that the first time through didn't capture the music. In the 90's, death metal often had terrible production....even when it was done well.

This album starts off with rusty chainsaws sawing off heads...I mean guitars.

It starts off with Mesa/Boogie driven high gain and it just blows up from there.

Vocally, there are three or four deliveries used on this album. From the standard Tampa Bay Growl to Carcass like screeches, and more. It's possible for death vocals to get a bit corny, but that was never the case on this album.

The guitars are great. From over the top solos, to harmony breaks, to the riffs themselves. Exhumed wrote a great album where each song sounds different than the one before it.

I'm going to leave this review here:

1) Buy this record.
2) Mesa/Boogie high gain is better than Peavey 5150 High Gain.

Release: 2/10/15
Genre: Death Metal
Label: Relapse Records
Facebook Link



No comments:

Post a Comment