Monday, November 26, 2018

Vinyloscopy with Lords of the Trident

Who's ready to check back in with our super hero friends, Lords of the Trident?

Honestly, who else is getting concerned that we're going to be poked in the midsection with their powerful weapons and then we're going to have to ask the questions about our lives that we never really wanted to and then get the answers?!


Just me?

OK, moving on, Lords of the Trident are big fans of the spinning circles that send up those delicious analog sound waves that move straight into our ear holes.


Check it out!

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

Man, that’s really subjective. I sort of feel like vinyl is to old-school metal as VHS is to old-school horror movies. There’s just a different feel that the medium imbues. It becomes more of an experience than listening to the crystal-clear versions. 

I definitely enjoy listening to Riot’s Thundersteel on vinyl vs. digital.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

For me, it became more about having the “collector’s edition” of albums that I truly loved. There are some albums out there that give you so much joy, you’d buy them 10 times over. 

When you have the vinyl version, it’s like getting the “ultimate” version due to the big artwork, and sometimes the extras that come with it.

3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worth, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

Definitely have a “vinyl worthy” category. I save my vinyl purchases for albums that I’ve already heard and totally love. 

My vinyl collection is a collection of albums that I absolutely adore.

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, is where I keep my Sherwood 7100-S receiver, Panasonic PL250 turntable and Sansui speakers. Tell me about your setup.

My turntable is hooked up to my sound system in my basement blacklight arcade. A bunch of arcade machines with classic games, artwork on the wall, black lights, and old-school metal playing on the turntable.

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

Definitely! It’s part of the experience. I always like when bands offer extras with their vinyl.

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

Nowadays, almost all vinyl comes with the digital download card to grab the MP3s, so I don’t know why anyone would give me grief about what format I buy. 

I’ve actually never experienced anyone giving me a hard time!

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Not sure about the best of all time, but KISS’ Alive! was pretty awesome! (NOTE: Alive! is the best live album.)

No comments:

Post a Comment