Monday, December 16, 2019

Classic Spins with Duncan Evans

Duncan Evans
Formerly of a guitarist of A Forest of Stars, Duncan Evans has slipped into the solo world.

Check out his tracks over on BANDCAMP.

But for now, let's check his classic spins.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

DE: I am all for concept albums and I agree that Pink Floyd have done them particularly well. Dark Side of the Moon strikes the right balance for me, where there is a genuine "concept" which ties all the songs together, but it doesn't try too hard to tell a narrative story. 

The Wall is of course a classic, but I also very highly rate The Final Cut which is perhaps even more cutting and clear with its anti-war message. 

I am also a big fan Roger Waters's solo records. 

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking fits in a trilogy with The Wall and The Final Cut, and Radio K.A.O.S. is a very strong record once you get past the 80s production.

2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.


Tell me about your favorite live record?

DE. I have a soft spot for Waiting for Columbus by Little Feat.

It's the sound of a band who just gel live and produce an energy that doesn't quite come out in the studio. The Last Waltz by The Band (and many guests) is also a genuine classic that deserves repeat listens.

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

DE: Anything by Bad Religion is good for purging negative energy and replacing it with something more righteous and uplifting. 

I was playing the 80-85 compilation yesterday. For a melancholy mood I turn to Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.

Push The Sky Away and No More Shall We Part are my two favourites, and I can't wait to hear the new one - Ghosteen - when my pre-order arrives any day now.

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love?

DE: World Coming Down by Type O Negative seems to be one of their least popular, but it was the first one of theirs that I owned and I have fond nostalgic memories of it. 

I also really like the first At The Drive In record - Acrobatic Tenement from 1996 - only one song from which made it onto their "best of" compilation.

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

DE: I have two versions of The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads by Lift to Experience (Josh T Pearson's former band). The band were never happy with the original mixes when the record was released back in 2002 and they had the chance to re-release it with an overhauled remix in 2017. 

I prefer the remixed version, although I'm sure some purists disagree with me. I've also got the partially re-recorded version of Nothing by Meshuggah. 

This was originally released in 2002, but in 2006 there was a re-release on which the guitar tracks were re-recorded using 8-string guitars and the drums were re-triggered with new samples. 

If I'm buying a CD version of an older album I often opt for the original master instead of the remaster as so many remastered albums released in the late 90s, 2000s and early 2010s had destructively maxed out dynamics and sounded worse than the originals.

No comments:

Post a Comment