Monday, November 24, 2014

Album Review: "The Birthday People EP" by The Birthday People

The Birthday People
From time to time there are albums that pass in and out of my view.

In this case, I was familiar with some of the musicians involved, but there was a bit more than just that.

It's that cover. That cover makes me laugh hysterically. My daughter looked at it last night and said, "Is that me, daddy?"

I just had to laugh and tell her that had that photo been of her, I would have most likely been arrested by now. She's still young enough that I'm pretty sure that these words don't mean a whole bunch to her...which is nice.

So, obviously, I was intrigued by the cover. I tend to think that it's easy to get an idea of the personality of a record based on the cover. At least that's how it SHOULD be....



Mike
Well, the cover says to me that it's kind of a love note to the culture and crazy heritage of St. Louis....

Maybe, maybe not, but that's what I see...and that this record is going to be quirky.

The Birthday People are kind of a duo with loads of help, Ken and Mike.

The EP starts off with, quite possibly the weirdest off the bunch, The F Bomb which quickly sets the tone as the perfect launching pad on this set.

Over all, this record is very quirky and I have to say that they left out the sound about Busch Beer and babies...

Ken
In the 25 minutes of this EP, many different tonal varieties are sampled. From Dave Gilmour styled guitar solos, though spaced up for the modern era, to Dennis DeYoung styled keyboard solos, that thankfully pay all the homage to Mr. DeYoung.

There are beautiful, ringing clean guitars, and crunchy riffs.

Vocally, the two gentlemen shore it up with upper register baritone vocals that certainly do the lyrics justice.

It's not normally my place to consider lyrical content, but these two kept me interested all the way though.

The drumming didn't stand out to me, so I didn't really stand out to me, so I don't have much to comment on there...which means they were adequate at worst, but probably better.

I'm not qualified to tell you what this music is and where it falls. I have no idea, but if you're in the mood for something than run of the mill rock or pop, it's impossible to go wrong with The Birthday People.

Release: Out Now
Label:DIY
Genre: Indie Rock
Facebook Link




No comments:

Post a Comment