Friday, September 6, 2019

Review Round Up 09/06/19

Anorexia Obscura by Tenebrae In Perpetuum 8/30/19

Let's start off with something a bit off of the beaten path, but the first track wouldn't let you in on that little secret.

We have a black metal band from Italy, or as it's better known...the depths of Hell... right? So, Anorexia Obscura is their fourth album, but they've been silent for the past ten years. So, this duo has been on hiatus for the entirety of my personal black metal fandom.

Their first track really didn't do much for me and this record was quickly careening towards a negative review, which is a thing I do now.

But, I slowed my roll and let the band play on. Now, here's where it gets a little strange. I can't rightly give this album a score. It's anywhere between an A+ and a C- for me. It's definitely a grower and it's uncertain as to how tall this will go...

Rating: ? Order Facebook

Kage by Neurococcyx 10/4/19

From France, I'm pleased to once again hear from friends of Glacially Musical, Neurococcyx... and I have no idea how to pronounce that name. It's totally insane to my American eyeballs.

Getting started, this album is wholly live. There were no overdubs or edits made in creating Kage. Also, true to form, their title is in some sort of Kanji making it wholly illegible to most consumers in their target market.

When hearing their first album, it was amazing how their guitarist was still, in terms of time, a novice player when it was recorded, but here on the follow up, he's made several quantum leaps in terms of playing mechanics as well as writing. All in all a much better album than it's predecessor.

The entire band is better, more focused, and it's a bit heavier. The times they spent playing gigs with bands like Karma To Burn probably had a hand in that.

Rating: B+ Bandcamp Facebook

The Ruins of Fading Light by Crypt Sermon 9/1/3/19

In this day and age, I'm trying to go through more albums than I had in the past and in doing so, the vetting process is much, much shorter. In this case...it's metal.

So, let's do it.

It starts off with those third wave of black metal keyboards. You know that underneath sound right? Now, after that little bit  happened, it starts to get a bit on the strange side.

From track two onward, this album could be called black metal, power metal, folk metal, traditional heavy metal, and nearly anything else out there. If was writing up a ten best list, Crypt Sermon's latest opus would occupy about three spots on that list.

If you're looking for some varied metal, here you go.

Rating: A- Bandcamp Facebook

Horror by Exhumed 10/4/19

The death metal legends are back again and it's been a bit too long since I've heard any of their music. My personal history with them is pretty short and goes back to a Carcass and Obituary show they were on.

That was when I started paying close attention and I missed everything leading up to that, but since then, I've been a fan.

If you're looking for progressive death metal that's going to weave in and out featuring new and different styles that will leave you wanting for more... Jog on because this isn't it.

If you're looking for absolutely gory, fucking death metal, featuring more thunder than Zeus on a bender, go ahead and pre-order this one.

Horror might be the first record to be classified  under my daughter's latest genre: Ultra Death Metal.

And seriously, dat cover art.

Rating A+ Bandcamp Facebook
(NOTE a rating of A+ means I have already pre-ordered my copy on vinyl.)

No comments:

Post a Comment