Monday, October 21, 2019

1Up with Cult of Sorrow

When you're out there on the streets, and you're looking for jive, make sure you don't fall down into doom...because as Lil Littles says...sometimes balloons can spell your doom.

That has essentially nothing to with anything right now, but in Cincinnati, OH, there lives a band called Cult of Sorrow.

Perhaps you've heard of them?

Or this is your first meeting. In either case, head over to BANDCAMP to check out their latest album.


But in the meantime, let's talk about some video games!

Glacially Musical: My first system was a pong clone, the yellow and black Odessey 300. What was your first Console?

Jerry and I are the oldest band member (I am 52). We met and spent a lot of time together in our teens. I wasn't big into games back in the 1980's, but I did have the Atari system with the joystick controllers and I remember playing pong and how much of a revolutionary game it was because you could play it on your home television.

I didn't spend much time on it. But it was pretty cool

GM: My stepdad was certain we'd destroy the TV playing Pong so we had to play it in secret, either when he was a sleep or when he was out of the house. Did you have to jump through any hoops to play games? 

No, not that I remember. It really wasn't that exciting watching the little dot go back and forth between the paddles. I mean it was cool and everything, but back then we had more fun exploring the local creeks. 

GM: What about hand held games? Is that something you ever got into?

Yes, a little. They were VERY primitive compared to today's standards. I can't remember the name of the game but there was a football and baseball game that were pretty cool.

It had a little field and a red LED that you had navigate across the little screen.

GM: The idea of not being able to play something drove me nuts, so I started playing games in their original Japanese. Did you ever get into imports?

No. I never got into original Japanese games.

GM: What's your favorite sports game?

I am one of those rare people who really isn't into sports. I mean, I played football in middle school and have been to various sports games throughout my life and like going to the occasional Cincinnati Reds  or Cyclones game, but was never into any sports video game.

GM: Dragon Warrior got me hooked on turn based RPGs, something that's still happening. What's your favorite style of game and what was the first one you played?

I really got hooked in the 1990's when Blizzard released their RPG, Diablo. I remember spend a shit-ton of hours on it. Then STEAM released Half Life and I became a huge fan of FPS. 

After that I pretty much chased every RPG or FPS I could find.

GM: Favorite system?


I have only ever played PC. I just never got into any of the modern console systems. 

Although my teenage son had an Xbox 360 and we played a bit on that; Minecraft was a main game and it was pretty cool. I could never get used to the hand-held controllers. 

The last few years I have been rocking Dark Souls 3, Fallout 3 & 4, Skyrim, Vampyr, Witcher 2 & 3 among many others and looking forward to the release of Cyberpunk 2077 and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment