Thursday, January 30, 2020

1 Up with The Last Martyr's Vin

The Last Martyr are Melbourne's newest melodic metal sensation and on August 9th will released their new EP 'Creatrix" officially in North America. 

The band's previous singles ‘Into The Black’, ‘Stay Awake’ and ‘Fear’ saw the band achieve national radio play on Triple j (Stay Awake on both The Racket and Home and Hosed) and rotation on The Faction. ‘Stay Awake’ also attracted the attention of Butcher Babies’ Heidi, who added them to her ‘Sisters That Slay’ playlist alongside the world’s best female voices in heavy music.

Check them out on Bandcamp.

Glacially Musical: My first system was a pong clone, the yellow and black Odessey 300. What was your first Console?


Vin: I was afraid of carbon dating myself with my answer but now that the Odessey is in play, I feel much better about revealing that the original 16-bit Sega Mega Drive was my first console. 

My favorite game was Sonic The Hedgehog . Actually as a kid, the original Sonic series was my jam. All the way up to Sonic and Knuckles.

GM: My stepdad was certain we'd destroy the TV playing Pong so we had to play it in secret, either when he was a sleep or when he was out of the house. Did you have to jump through any hoops to play games?

Vin:
Well, my mum worked for the Ministry of Education at the time and she had this mandate on me that everything I did outside of school had to have some sort of educational value to it. 

So while kids were getting the cool games like Doom and Mortal Kombat, I'd be playing critically acclaimed classics such as "Math Blaster!" and "Reader Rabbit's Interactive Reading Journey."

One time, I secretly installed the "cool" games on a separate hard drive partition on the home PC so that my parents wouldn't catch onto me but as things go they eventually did and you can probably imagine what happened next ðŸ˜–

GM: What about hand held games? Is that something you ever got into?

Vin:
Well, so on the other end of the scale, you have my dad who would proudly preach to everyone that I had 20/20 vision because he banned me from having any handheld consoles as a kid. 

Little did he know that looking at a screen for 8 hours a day as part of a 9-5 job would one day cause my vision to deteriorate. So yea I wear glasses now. 

The saddest part about all this was that when Pokemon red and blue came out and all the other kids were trading and battling on their game boy colors, I had to make peace with playing the game on a PC emulator alone. 

Years later I got a Nintendo DS when the 4th Gen Pokemon games came out. It was awesome, I felt like I was 10 again but the downside was that the people I'd battle and trade with at the time also seemed to be around 10. 

I feel like I'm about to go through the same cycle again with the Gen 8 Pokemon release on the Nintendo Switch later this year. 

GM: The idea of not being able to play something drove me nuts, so I started playing games in their original Japanese. Did you ever get into imports?

Vin:
Man I totally get you. Sometimes it was just not being able to find a copy of the English version. The internet wasn't quite what it is today and there was no Amazon or eBay. 

I remember playing the Japanese version of Final Fantasy 5 on my PS1. As you can imagine, I got stuck a lot hahaha. Eventually I managed to find like a 20 page text walk through of the game online and used that to make my way through it. 

It was still tough. Pretty sure I gave up around the time that I couldn't tell the difference between the Odin and Phoenix spells.

GM: What's your favorite sports game?

Vin:
Ammmmm, Lucio ball during the Overwatch summer games? I'm not much of a sports guy so the sports games never really appealed to me but everyone tells me that I'm missing out.

GM: Dragon Warrior got me hooked on turn based RPGs, something that's still happening. What's your favorite style of game and what was the first one you played?

Vin: I love 'em all! Growing up there were 2 titles that stood out and really got me hooked. 

The whole half life series from valve really introduced me to the world of first person shooters. The cross between having real weapons to fight a realistic military vs using the Gluon laser to mow down aliens was a perfectly captivating storm of gameplay. 

The other one was Warcraft III. WC3 was my first real intro to real-time strategy games  where every move you made mattered in the match. I even conned my mum into giving me extra game time because of the "chess-like" aspect of game-play that required you to think on your feet. 

That's right kids, its all about how you sell the story. 

GM: Favorite system?

Vin: Ah man, that's a tough one. Alright I'm going to define favorite system as the one I've had the most memories with and that would be, the Play Station 2. 

It was the era just before online gaming became accessible to everyone and couch co-ops were still a thing. 

My mates and I would spend hours trying to perfectly perform a tombstone piledriver through the top of the cage in WWE Smack Down! or try to nail "Through the Fire and Flames" on guitar hero. It was a magical time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment