Monday, January 6, 2020

Are You Ready To Rock with Mokomokai

Let's talk MOKOMOKAI!

Obviously that means this...

Mokomokai are the preserved heads of Māori, the indigenous people of New Zealand, where the faces have been decorated by tā moko tattooing. They became valuable trade items during the Musket Wars of the early 19th century. (PER WIKI)

So what do these odd head fellows from Petersborough, ON think about live records?

1. Every major band worth its salt has released a live album. 

Tell me about your favorite A list band's live record and your favorite underground live album.

That's a superb question. The album that got me into metal was a live record that my buddy lent me in high school. 

He knew I was a singer and so he gave me unleashed in the east by Judas Priest which to this day still blows my head apart. Killer performance, the recording of Exciter is almost better than the studio version. 

Made in Japan by Deep Purple also very good, Thin Lizzy live and dangerous is amazing. Live records are great because you get to hear the moments in between takes that are omitted in the studio and, where the musical giants are concerned, you are that much more breath taken when they are just as bang on. 

As far as underground bands go the first live band I ever saw, the Diplomats, put out the most savage garage rock live album from one of my favourite venues in Peterborough ON in 2000 called "the Diplomats live at the Gordon Best Theatre" and I still have the DVD in my selection.

I'll never forget it.

2. Kiss, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, etc, all have released several live sets. Tell me about a band who's gotten you to purchase multiple live sets and why? 

I can't say that I've ever followed a band based on their live discography but I can think of bands I'd rather see live.

Tool is a prime example, I've been an enormous fan of those guys since I was a young lad and they're live performance is 10 times the experience. 

I think it's extra important to be a good live band nowadays since it's so easy to sound good on a recording, you have to be able to back yourself up live, you know? 

You can't fool people in person. Halestorm is another example I've learned recently, those guys put on a great show and it makes listening to their music that much more enjoyable. 

3. Now, it's time to take a stand. Would you rather have an album like Kiss's Alive! where the tracks were doctored into perfection or would you rather have a Jimi Hendrix Live At Berkeley set where they just mixed and mastered the tapes?

Well that's a tough one now, isn't it? Hahaha, I'd rather a good record, but I'd also rather believe that the band I love did a good job. I'm sure that the live albums I own have been doctored somehow and I'm fine with that, as long as I'm blown away when I see them live I guess I don't have a preference. 

Just keep writing music and making the sweet rock and roll I love! 

4. In the early 90's, Anthrax released a live album called Live: The Island  Years. Due to reasons beyond Anthrax's control, this one just never felt right to me and I soon unloaded it. Tell me about one that disappointed you when it came out?

I don't know, I've seen Anthrax live fours times and it ruled every time and as far as I know, I don't listen to bands that suck live hahaha.

5. What's the right length for a live album? 
Until you pass out!

No comments:

Post a Comment