Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Classic Spins with Earth's Yellow Sun

Has it really been two years since we saw that amazing Rush cover from Canada's favorite sons of yore?

Well it has and let's be honest, time has lost all meaning in 2020. So, mix a stiff drink and strap on in for the winter of 2020 I guess.

In the meantime, it'd be a great usage of your time to check out our friends from the North. These Torontonians are ready.

You can stream their latest HERE.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite.

Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 

There’s this killer concept record called The Infernal Machine by a little prog band from Canada called Earth’s Yellow Sun. 


It’s about technology and artificial intelligence and the perils of technology.  Check it out, there’s even a series of comic book videos that I hear they’re releasing. 

 2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.


Tell me about your favorite live record?


Great question, I’m gonna have to pick three because they all had a huge influence on me when I was growing up. 


Iron Maiden’s Rock in Rio, Rush’s Rush in Rio and Metallica’s S&M.  I was introduced to all three right when I was getting into heavy music, and I must have watched them all at least 20 times.

 

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad? 


Sad - The Raven that Refused to Sing (And Other Stories) - Steven Wilson


Angry - Perseverance - Zuby (while running or working out)

 

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 


What's the strange one that you love? 


Not sure if this quite falls into the ‘misfit toys’ category, but I absolutely love Tool’s most recent release Fear Inoculum. 


The rhythm section of EYS plays in a Tool tribute called Third Eye Open (plug, plug) and we all really appreciated the ways that Tool expanded their sound and what they accomplished on the album.  Especially from a guitarists perspective, Adam Jones really let himself stretch out on this in terms of composition and layering. 


And since we gigged regularly with the band (pre-covid) we would always be hearing from die-hard tool fans that really didn’t dig the new album.


5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?  


I love seeing live concerts where albums are recreated front to back, but I’m not a huge fan of re-creating records on new records, unless the artist has a specific problem with the original record.  Personally, I would much rather put my artistic energies into creating new content than rehashing something I already made. 

But that’s just me.  The one record I would like to mention here is Lamb of God’s As the Palaces Burn Remix/Remaster, which the band has talked about the drama that surrounded the original recording and mixing, so for them to be able to put those songs out again in a way that lived up to their original vision was definitely a great idea for them. 

And as a fan, I got to fall in love with the record all over again.


No comments:

Post a Comment