Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Mons Talk Tapes...Well...not precisely.

Let's continue on with how bands out there are consuming their music and what they really like to listen to when nobody's looking.

Up next we have The Mons. They're a hardcore punk band from Chicago, IL who're hot on the heels of their latest release, Trust No One, released via Triple Eye Industries.


1. The first album I ever owned was?

The first album I ever owned was Alice Cooper’s Greatest Hits.  My mom signed the family up for the Columbia Record and Tape Club.  

Even though I was only 7 years old, I got to pick a title each month along with my two older brothers.  I didn’t really know much about music other than songs on the radio, so my brothers would sort of “pick” for me.  

I got Rush A Farewell to Kings, Aerosmith Rocks, and Black Sabbath We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll when most kids were still worried about getting a baseball mitt.  It kind of warped me.  
2. My favorite album of all time is....

My favorite album of all time is The Rolling Stones’s Exile on Main Street.  

I never grow tired of it and it’s just such a singular listening experience, like being a tourist stumbling into a sleazy juke joint and tasting the humidity and stale beer. 

It’s not even The Stones’s best album, but it feels like a hungover Sunday with no responsibilities.  I relate to that.  

Voivod’s Dimension Hatross is a close second, for completely different reasons, obviously. 

3. The album with the best art is...

The album with the best art is Black Sabbath’s debut album.  

You can tell it’s going to be scary as hell.  If it looked like a Grand Funk album, it never would have worked.  The Sabs spent years trying to walk back the Satanic angle, but rock needs to be dangerous and just a little bit stupid.  

Like Venom.
4. My favorite heavy metal album of all time is...

My favorite heavy metal album of all time is Metallica’s Ride the Lightning.  That tour was my first concert and I was just in awe of those guys.  

They didn’t completely ditch melody and the Dungeons & Dragons vibe of most early 80's metal, but they came damn close.  

They changed everything, and led me to Mercyful Fate, Megadeth, Anthrax, etc.  It was why I started to play music, where each song had to have like 20 parts, each better than the last.  

Nirvana didn’t kill the hair bands.  

Metallica did.
5. My favorite album of all time (Any genre is) 

My favorite album of all time (Any genre) The Beach Boys Pet Sounds.  

It’s a master class in songwriting, melody, invention and sheer ambition.  It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense if you’re looking for guitars or anything approaching the R & B vibe that informs most rock music.  

Instead, it seeks to make something actually child-like and beautiful.  It’s not for everyone, but I get it. 
6. My favorite live album of all time is... 

My favorite live album of all time is UFO’s Strangers in the Night .

For some reason, I’m not a huge fan of live albums, but “Strangers” really pulls together everything that’s great about UFO.  

They were tough.  They could tour that live set forever. 
7. My favorite album format is..... 

My favorite album format is vinyl.  

Nothing quite like a gatefold Yes album to clean your weed.  I never should have switched to CDs.  

I’ve spent years catching up.

1 comment: