Thursday, March 1, 2018

Vinyloscopy with Tommy Stewart of Dyerwulf, Hallow's Eve, Etc

Tommy Stewart
Tommy Stewart has been around and paying metal on a professional level since 1985 when Hallow's Eve put out their debut record, Tales of Terror.

Even before that he was in other bands and in the recent years, he's started a couple of other projects, most notably the doom metal band Tommy Stewart's Dyerwulf.

Check out what Stewart has going on these days over at Bandcamp.

Because I'm me and you're you, I'm going to point out that their current album is available on vinyl....

So, let's find out more about his listening habits and what he thinks about the great vinyl revolution and the revolutions of vinyl....



1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

For me, it's Deep Purple's Machine Head because I love all the midrange on the vinyl, I think that's how it's supposed to be per the artist.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?


I always did. My first listening experiences when I was a kid is I bought records.

3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worth, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

I only buy what really moves me so I don't have a lot of clutter. 

Plus I only buy either first release or a special deluxe type release only, money's no object.

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my late 90's receiver, vinyl pream, with a 70's turntable and 70's 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

I have an original Sears turntable from he 70's and the two speakers that came with it. So it's not replicating what was heard in the 70's, it is from the 70's and that's how it was heard. 

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

Oh yes! I pull up in a rocking chair, alone at home, and either just listen or put on headphones. 

Then I listen to the whole album as it is while I look over the stuff and read lyrics along with th music. It's an experience, not just something in the background to do something else. 

And the order of the songs was carefully chosen by the artist to take you on a journey. I respect that.

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

I haven't had that happen, but if it did I just don't care what other people say. I would probably smile and say, "We have much to teach ou on our planet."

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

I really like If You Want Blood, You've Got It by AC/DC. One reason is because it is live! Most live albums aren't live and sound to glossy to me. 

I don't care for live albums much anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment