Friday, January 25, 2019

Beer Thirty with Greyhawk's Darin Wall

Greyhawk
Greyhawk is a band that's got a peculiar genesis.

There is this neo-classical shredder by the name of Jesse Berlin form New York. He apparently made contact with a man from the far northern reaches of Canada by  the name of Darin Wall.

Speculation is probably a bad thing, but as Wall's city and province of origin seem to be left off of the historical record, the only logical assumption is that he lived north of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.

I cannot be convinced otherwise.

In order for this musical union to be considered legal, and again, this is all assumption on my part, the pair fled to the Pacific Northwest. Seattle apparently has found this to be well and good. The pair then started setting the world aflame with the release of their debut EP, Ride Out.

Fans of Power Metal, seriously get in on this one. Imagine a if Accept had King Diamond as their lead singer...and you're on the right track.

Naturally, it's time to talk about beer.

1. My personal favorite beer style is the might Double India Pale Ale. The best DIPA in the world is STLIPA by Urban Chestnut. 

Tell me about your favorite style.

It’s hard to pick one favorite style because I like so many. But a good barrel aged imperial stout always hits the spot, but I also love German lagers, Belgian lambics, and a good IPA if it is made right.

 It really depends on the mood and the time of year.

2. Many international people have laughed at me for this, but American Beer is the best in the world. Not American Lagers, that piss water is best used for drinking 15 of them while you're at the karaoke bar, but American Craft Beer. 

Which nation is pumping out the best beer?

I wouldn’t argue with that. I think as far as creativity goes and pushing the boundaries of flavor and variety, America can’t be beat.

I do however think Germans are the best craftsmen of beer. It’s all very well made and technically proficient.

3. Even though I'm a giant beer snob, I'll drink beers that break the Bavarian Purity Laws. My personal favorite is Schalfly's Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout. It's a might 22oz of 10% ABV Stout aged in bourbon barrels. It'll warm your heart and soul. 

What beers do you love that break Reinheitsgebot?

Here in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest we have so many.

Some that come to mind are Fremonts barrel aged coffee dark star stout, the noir truffle from de Garde brewing, Canadian breakfast stout from founders brewing, and any Belgian ale with fruit in it.

4. Right now, you couldn't pin me down and get me to give my favorite St. Louis Brewery, though Urban Chestnut's STLIPA does put them in the lead...but if you put a gun to my head,it's Schlafly Brewing. 

What do you think of your local brewers?

Seattle’s local brewers are amazing! Some I can recommend are Holy Mountain, Fremont, Reubens, Georgetown, Stoup, Matchless, 3 Magnets and so many more!

5. Hops or Malt? Personally, I feel like a jerk for asking the question. Give me a malty Scottish/Scotch Ale or a hoppy DIPA...and I'm happy...but you gotta pick one.

Oh man!!!!

Don’t make me choose!!!! But I’ll go malt. I could never give up my dark beers.

6. Whenever I'm road tripping. I'm always bringing back beers. Ohio, Great Lakes Brewing. East Coast, Yuengling. Western New York. Genessee. 

What do you bring home?

Every time I’m in Oregon I go to De Garde Brewing, Cascade, Cumulation, and more.

I recently went to Boise, ID and fell in love with Barbarian Brewing, and from my hometown of Vancouver, Canada Ed Note: MYSTERY SOLVED!), I’m always picking up some Fat Tug IPA from driftwood!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment