Monday, January 28, 2019

Vinyl Review: "Victim/Nonvictim Pt. 1" by Quin Galavis

VICTIM/NONVICTIM Pt. 1
Before we move forward...

Out at night...

The Stars are big and bright....

DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!

We are heading back to Texas for a first. Quin Galavis is now the first artist to receive three vinyl reviews here at Glacially Musical.

We're quite sure indeed that he'll take the non-existent award and cherish it as it should be cherished. Galavis is a delightful enigma currently residing (at least close to) Austin, TX

He's an enigma to me as we've never spoken, crossed paths, gotten an interview, or even exchanged words via Twitter.

I heard tale he enjoyed my review of his double LP.

There's really nothing for me to tell you about his social media presence, because I know nothing about it. Does he even have one?

He's more than just a social media enigma, but a human one. His music to me is a riddle trapped inside an enigma, and then rolled up into a Cinnabon.

It's about quarter to apology time, and there it is. Though Galavis is one of my favorite new(er) artists, his name is never mentioned in my discussions about great new music.

That's a great disservice, but frankly, how does one describe this man's genius?

This is my third try and I'm just as vexed as the first time. What my mind and soul want to scream out is that he just gets it.

It's right.

He speaks the language in my head no one else can hear. That's music at its zenith. The real problem though, is that listening to music is escapism for me. Music plays to drown out the anxiety that's on a constant loop.

Galavis pulls me straight into down and forces me to stare directly at Scilla and Charybdis and make a choice.

There's something oddly cathartic about facing the demons in my head and reveling in their jeers. For a brief 45 to 80 minutes, I'm the heel in the worlds smallest wrestling promotion.

The jeers of the idiots normally would pain me so, give me a strength that Ares, himself would envy, and Athena would prize.

So, why doesn't he come up when it's time to help someone into the modern era of music? Because listening to Galavis is akin to weight training.

You might work out 3 times each week, but do you tell your friends you do it for fun?

These records gut punch me. They wring me out. Best of all, they make me stronger.

Now that you've heard me spill my guts and gush over these albums, what are they?

Well, I have no fucking clue.

That's the next part of the enigma. There are times when Galavis borders on legit metal, fuzz rock, poppy dance, and something else. This is the soundtrack to the apocalypse. Sure, Slayer used that title back in the early aughts, but when Galavis plays it, you can at least dance as the Four Horsemen ravage our homes.

Victim/Nonvictim Pt. 1 is the first record of a trilogy. I'm told Empire and Jedi are also coming out in 2019.

It's all supposed to tie in together. Because of that, and for no other reason, any unpacking of lyrics will be hereby suspended until Part 3 arrives in my hand.

As with the majority of the Super Secret Records releases, the packaging is just a method of delivering the records to you.

A perfect pressing and sturdy jacket is all I personally require and that's what you're going to get very time.

RELEASE 2/15/19 PREORDER FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment