Monday, January 28, 2019

Classic Spins with Dust Prophet's Otto

Dust Prophet
Over the world of New Hampshire... New Hampshire...what's so new about it?

Anyway, perhaps today is the day to seek to distract me from tasks.

That's where Dust Prophet resides. They've been at it for just a little bit so far and have dropped to major singles on us in the past 4 months.

Check that stuff all out on BANDCAMP

Now should that get your motor running, it'd be best to get thee to the FACEBOOKERY for all the updated information on the quickness.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

Otto: The Wall is also one of my all-time favorite albums, period. But then again I’m a huge Pink Floyd fan so I’m partial (laughs).
First time I ever heard it was when I was a teenager, and it was actually in a movie theater. A friend convinced me to go see a special showing in our local theater. I was blown away by the combination of visuals and music, and even today every time I listen to it I still think of the corresponding scenes in the film when specific songs come on. 

My favorite song from The Wall is Run like Hell.
As far as concept albums go, I love De-Loused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta. I love the story line of life, death and the journey in between the main character goes on. I can listen to that album from beginning to end.
2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.
Tell me about your favorite live record?
Otto: I’ve always loved Exit...Stage Left by Rush.  Rush is another band I’ve loved ever since I was a   kid. I think it has a great energy and it always made me feel like I was in the area watching the band.   

And I also always loved the live album Dog Fashion Disco out, The City Is Alive Tonight. Such an incredibly underrated band! And Ministry’s Spinctour is an awesome live record. I used to mosh around my living room with that album blasting at full volume.
3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?
Otto: It’s interesting because I probably don’t listen to music people would traditionally associate with either of those emotions. I love PJ Harvey’s debut album as well as Uh Huh Her

There’s something so raw and emotional that I connect with when I listen to her. When I’m angry her music helps me be more reflective and calm. She also has a ton of great songs! I like Bjork for the same reason. I feel like her massively diverse pallet of sound breaks me out of my emotional comfort zone.
But sometimes I just want to punch the wall so I reach for White Zombie, Obscura, Gorguts, or Devildriver. There’s nothing like making your knuckles bloody to get some rage out.
4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc.
What's the strange one that you love?
Otto: Damn, I need to think about that. Rush has had a couple of clunkers that I like, like Roll the Bones. You have to love the 80’s “white guy” rap that happens in the middle of Roll the Bones hahaha. 

It’s like an intro to a terrible teen movie from that time. I also love The Process by Skinny Puppy. There was so much turmoil in the band at that time. Ogre and cEVIN Key hated each other, and Dwayne Goettel died from a heroin overdose. 

They broke up before it was finished. When you listen to it understanding the background of the band it really puts it in a unique place.
5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?
Otto: I have The Wall Live, the Pink Floyd version. Aside from that however don’t have very many. I’m not a big fan of buying different versions of albums that I already own. 

I would make an exception if Ministry ever released Psalm 69 Live, like they had originally planned on doing several years ago before their label at the time stopped them.

I’m boring like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment