Monday, December 28, 2015

Album Review: "Ride Forth" by Exmortus

Ride Forth
The worst part about growing older is watching your sacred cows die.

Nothing lasts forever.

There was a Tom Cruise and Tim Curry vehicle in the early 80's called Legend. I cannot tell you how many times I watched that movie.

Unicorns, demons, dwarves, magic, mystery, and more. I wasn't old enough to know that Tom Cruise was terrible at this.

About 15 years ago, I chose to watch this movie again while my car was being worked on. Oh my. I could not believe how terrible this movie had become to me. It still looked pretty good, but it didn't hold my attention at all and I was ready to shoot myself by the time we got to the climax of the devil being shot with an arrow.

The cover art  here...It really reminds me of the dwarves from that flick.

Exmortus
Music is pretty similar in that regard because not everything ages like it should.

Especially musical movements.

Remember the shred generation? Original thrash metal?

These kinds of music have pretty much gone the way of the do do.

What if though, those two forms of music could be fused with early death metal?

Could very  heavy, very fast music work stylistically with music that you'd need a Masters in Music Theory to understand?

Well, as it turns out, yes!

If a note cost a dollar, I'd tell you that Exmortus has spared no expense in bringing us this collection of songs. Their sacred cows have died, but they were willing to marry themselves into other families creating this fast, brutal, and immaculate album.

If thrash vocals always felt a little silly to you or death metal was just too over the top and grindcore was a bit too out there for you, Exmortus is the band you have been waiting for.

Release: 1/18/16
Genre: Metal
Label: Prosthetic Records
Facebook Link



No comments:

Post a Comment