Friday, August 31, 2018

1 Up with Solium Fatalis's Jeff Demarco

Solium Fatalis
You might recall that we talked to Jim Gregory of Solium Fatalis about his touring life. Today we're going to get some information from the band with dulcet tones on the lower register.

The one who brings the bass and we don't know how low he can go...

But aside from my re-purposing old Anthrax/Public Enemy lyrics, let's get on with it.

Myself, I'm a big gamer and I enjoy talking about that sort of thing...

So today we're asking Demarco about his life in the alternate universe of video games...


Glacially Musical: My first system was a pong clone, the yellow and black Odessey 300. What was your first Console?

Mine was an Atari 2600, playing missile command and Asteroids like there was no tomorrow.

GM: My stepdad was certain we'd destroy the TV playing Pong so we had to play it in secret, either when he was a sleep or when he was out of the house. Did you have to jump through any hoops to play games?

I was a gamer all the time as a kid, so if there was time to play, I was there.  My parents probably liked the idea of it occupying me, like a 2nd babysitter!

GM: What about hand held games? Is that something you ever got into?

Definitely, I had a Sega GameGear that I brought with me everywhere for traveling, I thought it was ahead of its time.  And gameboy color. 


Now looking back you wish you hung unto all those games because of the DS, and backwards compatibility with them all.  Of course I found myself rebuying them now 25 years later...

GM: The idea of not being able to play something drove me nuts, so I started playing games in their original Japanese. Did you ever get into imports?

Not really, I don't think I realized what imports were until I got much older, and then my console gaming life turned into PC gaming life. 

GM: What's your favorite sports game?

Favorite sports game would have to have been NHL94 on sega, and I think I played all of those games until 2002. 


It was awesome even going back the year before with NHLPA hockey, it was supposed to be NHL93 but they didn't have the players license to use their names or teams, but it was unique because it was the first game to actually allow full line brawls after whistles, injuries, the whole nine yards. 

They ended up taking it out in 94 and we haven't seen it since.... bring back the line brawls!!!

GM: Dragon Warrior got me hooked on turn based RPGs, something that's still happening. What's your favorite style of game and what was the first one you played?

My favorite are definitely RPG's, the Final Fantasy series is an obvious one. Final Fantasy III and IX in America were my favorites. 

Star Ocean, Chrono Trigger... and then all MMO games, I was a huge FFXI player in my prime.

(ed note: I also played Final Fantasy XI: Online for four years. My character was Battra on the Ramuh Server. If you spoke to me, I likely pretended to be Japanese as I was playing on the Japanese version of the game.)

GM: Favorite system?

Playstation 2. I think it had the most games, longevity, overall perfect (except add-on harddrives that crash all the time). 


It had a HUGE RPG arsenal of games and some of the coolest ones ever released on that system.  Second favorite would have to be Sega Genesis, just because it was my main system before Playstation, then SNES. 

Check out Genetically Engineered To Slave on BANDCAMP.

No comments:

Post a Comment