Friday, November 22, 2019

A Man Walks Into A Bar with Fumarole

Fumarole
For a new twist on an old non-favorite...we're having an Austrian band give us their take on the bar scene.

It's certainly not Czech or German proper, but Vienna has some delightful breweries so that ought to give us some nice stories.

Well...<checks notes>... they are actually Australian.

You can be their FACEBOOK friend....

1. Which is your favorite kind of bar and why? It can be any kind. Whiskey, Beer, Wine, Coffee, or Steel.

I love a good dive bar! Sticky floors, cheap drinks, band stickers littering the barely working toilet. 

You need to be able to smell the regret of last nights poor decisions for it to be a trve dive bar. All the most interesting people end up in dive bars so it can lead to some awesome stories, rarely true but who ever let that get in the way. 

All the best people are weird and unpredictable.

2. When you get up to the 'tender, what's your normal order?


I’m going the burger always! I’ve always been a huge burger fan and it’s my go to. 

You can tell a lot about a bar by how they present a burger, if there’s no burger it’s a poseur bar and they can go stuck on their umbrella drinks alone cause I’m outtie!

3. How did you find your local spot and what made you wanna keep coming back?


My favourite local is Crowbar in Brisbane. All my favourite bands play there and it’s kind of the staple for anything underground including local and touring bands.

So that’s what got me interested in the place. I keep going back because it’s just perfectly me, everything is blacked out, there’s records everywhere, metal blasting over the system and they have a nice decent house larger that is CHEAP!

4. What is the craziest thing you've seen happen but didn't take part in there?


I have a mate Matt who’s in a great Hardcore band called Oldtown and they have a crazy stage presence.

Anyway they basically tear the stage apart at the end of their set and at the end of this show his guitar ended up hanging from the roof by the strap has he bashed it with one of the drummers sticks. 

5. Do they have musical acts there and have you played it?


They sure do! Downstairs is the main stage area, kinda like a bigger version of someone’s basement with a bar. 

We got to play that stage when Wo Fat came to Brisbane last! It was such a great moment, playing there was one of our first goals as a band and we got to do it supporting a hugely influential international band!

6. Is it harder to name a bar or a band? What would you name your bar?

Definitely a band. So many of the good band names are taken! 

We we’re lucky Dan (bass) came up with Fumarole which fits in with our Sci-Fi inspired lyrics, fumaroles are weird and almost alien looking. 

If I had a bar I’d call it Earlybirds and I’d have statues of drunk birds dressed up in little business suits everywhere, I don’t know why I just think that’d be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment