Friday, November 8, 2019

Vinyloscopy with Clouds Taste Satanic

Clouds Taste Satanic
The latest instrumental doom LP from Clouds Taste Satanic, Second Sight, has been released unto the masses.

Have you been to BANDCAMP yet?

I need to get my copy still....

As they're a band that's always releasing the goods on vinyl, it only makes sense to find out what they think about vinyl in general.

Steve was good enough to give us some time.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

(Steve Scavuzzo, Guitar from Clouds Taste Satanic)
Electric Wizard’s “Dopethrone” (or any Electric Wizard record for that matter). 

It has an old school vibe buried in distortion that just begs for a warmer feel. Vinyl does that record justice.

2. I was lying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?


The size and care that is put into the packaging, especially colored vinyl.  The early Southern Lord records (Boris, Earth, SunnO))) came in such incredible jackets that the visual aspect of the vinyl told as much of a story as the music. 

It truly makes you feel like the musicians (and the labels?) are true artists, who bleed over every aspect of a release. Nothing is an afterthought.

3. For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

For the most part, everything on wax. 

There is no form of music that doesn’t benefit from an analogue sound. If it’s a CD or Tape-only release, that will have to do.

That said, if the vinyl comes with a download, I’m happy to listen to the download when I’m on the road.

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs I have my early 70's receiver with a 70's turntable and 70's 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up. 

Late 90’s Harman Kardon Receiver, CD Player, Tape Deck and CDR, 2 Technics 1200’s and 4 decent size B&W Speakers.  

Not high-end equipment, but more concerned with volume and size than fidelity. Had a vintage Kenwood Receiver back in the day, which was awesome.

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

Always. Although, liner notes, the art, and the jacket’s design hold more of an interest.

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

People who just stream their music already feel inadequate in the presence of someone who loves vinyl. 

It doesn’t take much of an argument to make them feel even worse.

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

So many, but certainly one of the best is Bongripper’s “Satan Worshipping Doom Live at Roadburn”

No comments:

Post a Comment