Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Pizza Pie Do or Die with Monica Strut

Monica Strut
In the land down under lives Monica Strut. She's both in a band and helps bands how to do their own Public Relations.

Being as she's from a whole world away, it's going to be interesting to find out what pizza is like in Australia.

Let's dig in!

1. Pizza is the world's most perfect food. This is not up for debate. Please define pizza as based on your geographical location.


Australia is really European-influenced so our pizza is incredibly good. 

My hometown of Melbourne has deep Italian roots so I dare say we have the best pizza in the country.

2. It's going to get controversial now. Pineapple on Pizza. Why or why not? 

I LOVE pineapple on Pizza. I'm vegan now so the pineapple for me adds that depth of flavor that you might get from meat - even though I'm totally aware it taste's nothing like salami!

3. For literally years, my family didn't order pizza from the take out places. We made Chef Boyardee boxed pizzas. After that, we only ordered St. Louis Style from Imo's. But finally in the LATE EIGHTIES, I had Domino's Pizza. Tell me your tale.

Unfortunately, I've been diagnosed as gluten intolerant.  Being half Italian, this was a grave disappointment to not only myself but my Sicilian Father who was utterly confused.  

This has raised my standards of a good pizza. The best pizza places have no issue making their own GF dough from scratch and I've tasted some amazing pizzas since (shoutout to Lazer Pig in Collingwood).  

I've also tasted a lot of cardboard disguised as pizza dough, yet despite numerous disappointments, my love of pizza has never swayed.

4. St. Louis Style Pizza is the perfect pizza, especially if you enjoy bragging about how much pizza you can eat, but when I'm out in other parts of the country, I seek out Chicago Style Pizza. What do you look for?

I would like to challenge you to try Melbourne pizza, your world will change.

5. Pepperoni, started giving me heartburn. So I switched to green peppers or onions. What's your go to topping?

Back when I wasn't vegan, I would love cheese, olives, and anchovies.  Give me all the salt!  

Now, I'm still about the olives, but give me pineapple, a bunch of veggies like peppers and artichokes!  

Oh and my secret shame is that I LOVE Tabasco on pizza. It's so good!

6. What do you look for in pairing beer with your pie?

Obviously gluten-free beer for me.  Melbourne is full of hipsters so no issues in pairing the perfect vegan gluten-free pizza and gluten-free beer over here!  

It's pretty much normal!  So long as the beer is cold and not out of a can, I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment