Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Pizza Pie Do or Die with Dead Register


Dead Register is on tour!

Make sure you check out their BANDCAMP.

Hello cruel and unusual world! This is Avril (low-low bass, synth, keys textures, visuals, vocals) of Dead Register. Thanks for having me on your pizza themed blog.
  
1. Pizza is the world's most perfect food. This is not up for debate. Please define pizza as based on your geographical location.

I’ll start this out on a positive note. Pizza is defined by my kitchen these days. I make a mean non-traditional pie with spelt flour crust, crushed tomatoes and herb sauce, topped off with Spotted Trotter Mexican Chorizo, fresh cremini mushrooms, fresh mozz, extra sharp aged white cheddar, finished with fine slivers of marinated onions and red peppers. 

If I’m feeling feisty, I’ll do up a breakfast pizza with pesto, soft scrambled eggs, and piles of cheddar. Maybe toss in chunks of bacon or smoked salmon.

As far as the rest of my geographical locale is concerned… eek. I love the hell out of food, and the lack of amazing pizza here in Atlanta proper makes me sad. 


There are merely slices I’d grade as failing, passable, solid, and pretty alright at best. Some of my fave independent spots been priced out by the influx of developers, hand-in-hand with the flood of condo/yuppie culture. 

I’m sick to death of the overpriced, subpar, wannabe-authentic establishments that have run amok in this city. Where’s my greasy NY slice that’s hot and ready for my hungry paws at 3am (or anytime of day for that matter)? Nowhere. That’s where.

2. It's going to get controversial now. Pineapple on Pizza. Why or why not?

Raw and unripe is the only way I’ll eat pineapple. Or soaked in rum, if it is ripe. The smell of cooked pineapple literally makes me nauseous. 

I immediately get that nasty pre-puke bile taste in my mouth and start spitting like an angry snake. Yuck. Shivers. I have a headache just thinking about it. Thanks for making me think about it.

3. For literally years, my family didn't order pizza from the take out places. We made Chef Boyardee boxed pizzas. After that, we only ordered St. Louis Style from Imo's. But finally in the LATE EIGHTIES, I had Domino's Pizza. Tell me your tale.

BOOK IT! I got ALL the free Pizza Hut personal pan pizzas I could get my grubby lil’ kid hands on. I was a bookworm so I ate a lot of personal pans.  

But I can’t tell this childhood tale without mentioning school cafeteria pizza. One Pizza Day, this kid stuck his nasty finger in my last bite of pizza and said “are your gonna eat that?” – WTF, right? I marched my ass up to my first grade teacher and I told on him. Yeah, take that, kid.

4. St. Louis Style Pizza is the perfect pizza, especially if you enjoy bragging about how much pizza you can eat, but when I'm out in other parts of the country, I seek out Chicago Style Pizza. What do you look for?

The back of Micucci’s Grocery Store has the pizza that I look for in Portland, Maine. It’s magical, and I lust for it. These gems are fired up in deep sheet pans and cut into slabs of luscious merriment. The sauce is perfectly simple. 

The cheese is perfectly simple. The crust is where it’s at: thick, airy, fluffy, with just enough chew. It’s like focaccia made sweet love with a puffy cumulus cloud over a field of tomatoes next to a dairy farm, and they both came at the same time into a hot sexy oven. 

All members of Dead Register (Chvasta/ + Randy) agree that this might be the best slice, like, anywhere.

5. Pepperoni, started giving me heartburn. So I switched to green peppers or onions. What's your go to topping?

It largely depends on the venue and my mood. Sometimes I want meat, other times veggies, or just plain ol’ cheese. If there are artichoke hearts available, I’ll probably bite. 

If it’s a chain, I’ll avoid their canned mushrooms since I prefer not to eat wet band-aids. 

6. What do you look for in pairing beer with your pie?

Pies pair best with pale ales. They have just enough bite to complement the yeast in the crust, are are not too under- or overwhelming in flavor in conjunction with most slices. Geary’s Pale Ale and Summer Ale are the perfect buddies to Micucci’s pizza. Since you asked.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to me chat about pizza, now go watch our newest music video for “Ender” that I made. Chop chop (slice slice):


No comments:

Post a Comment