Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Classic Spins with Murder Van

Murder Van

In Atlanta, GA, there's a thrash band getting ready to drop their first album. You should be friends with them on FACEBOOK, but for now...


Let's talk about records.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. 

What's your favorite one and why?


Skraw- "King Diamond is THE master of the concept album. It would be hard for me to name just one as my favorite. 

King is amazing, excellent musicianship, and the stories are great. Abigail, Them, and Conspiracy are definitely on the top of the list."

Ray-"Iron Maiden Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. I bought it on cassette as soon as it came out, I was about 13 years old and wore it out quickly. 

Just listening to this album now opens a doorway in my mind, it's as close to time-travel as you can get."

Jarrod- "King Diamond - Puppet Master. Great songs, great musicians."

2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.



Tell me about your favorite live record?

Skraw- "Growing up Frampton Comes Alive was in heavy rotation. 

At a young age I began getting my own collection of vinyl and cassettes. Ozzy's Tribute album was great but then I got a copy of SLAYER Live Undead. That album will always be a favorite."

Ray-"Live albums have never been my favorite although I've owned plenty over the years. Slayer Live Undead is probably one of my favorite, it sounds raw and fast, which is always a good thing. 

Another one high on the list is We're the Meatmen... and you still suck!!! They are totally underrated."

Jarrod- "Iron Maiden - Live After Death. Not a bad song on the entire album."


3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

Skraw- "I guess it really depends on the cause or trigger for the emotion and if I want to maintain it or try to change my mood. I listen to a wide variety of music depending on where I want to be at the moment."

Ray- "I have very specific music for every mood. Particularly when I'm angry, I listen to Death and Black Metal the most. Stuff like Deicide, Dimmu Borgir, and Behemoth gets me amped up. 

When I'm sad I put on a lot of atmospheric black metal and the dark, impending doom style metal. To name a few, Lluvia, Type O Negative, Darkflight, and Medusa by Paradise Lost."

Jarrod- "Angry - Behemoth, Slayer, Deicide. Sad - Misfits, 80s ballads, classic country."


4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love?

Skraw- "I bought a copy of Amon Amarth Deceiver of the Gods and it came with an EP entitled Under The Influence. 

It has four original songs each one written in the style of a different band there is AC/DC, Motorhead, Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath. Amon Amarth really nailed each style perfectly. It is a great EP."

Ray - "This fits into a "guilty pleasure" type of question, that being said, I don't particularly care for the big names during their times of prosperity. 

I do find myself spinning many of the classic rock and even glam albums from the 80s. I didn't like them at the time, but now I find them nostalgic and often times, well written. 

I really like The Cult's Sonic Temple."

Jarrod- No Answer

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

Skraw- "King Diamond Abigail Live in Concert 1987 is a great live presentation of the album. Dimmu Borgir went into studio and re-recorded Stormblast. 

That is an excellent album. The production is great the album is epic."

Ray - "I have Tombstone's live album. They are an old school death metal band from Atlanta, and it's a live version of their demo. That's the only one I can think of hahaha."

Jarrod- "Meatmen - We're the Meatmen and you still Suck!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment