Thursday, January 7, 2016

Album Review: "Perfect" by Half Japanese

Perfect
Our life experiences color so much.

I had jury duty recently and the lawyers intent on choosing the most impartial of those of us who weren't actively trying to weasel out of our constitutional duty.

They continually talked about not being able to turn off our experiences. I'd like to tell you about one of mine now.

It would have been around 1993 during the punk rock renaissance that many of us old timers remember. My friend, who wanted me to be in his band if only I had and could play a guitar, had the Sex Pistols in the CD player.

I swear, I must have heard that CD about 15 times that day. I remember thinking that they were so unprofessional putting such horrific things on this album...forgetting the words, etc... I frankly couldn't find the plot.

Half Japanese
Half Japanese starts off this record as the punkiest punk band I've heard since Guitar Wolf.

The guitars, drums, and vocals...well they're just raw and it's almost like they don't care about the dissonance they've created because they're into a serious thing.

If this were the extent of the album, I would have been happy. Even though my younger self would've crucified me for listening to it, I found the song to be invigorating.

The album moves on from there.

Even after listening to the whole thing, I can't tell you much about their genre, but I can hear some influences.

If you think Guitar Wolf makes for a great bed of soba noodles topped with some Lou Reed style malt vinegar, then this might be just the album for you.

But wait! There's more in this strange concentration of sounds.

As we get into side two, more melodic instruments color the walls. It's never the focus of the song, but a softening emerges. Even the Lou Reed-y vocals in turn find a softer timbre.

Perfect will take you to many different places. Just when you think you get it, you really don't.

Release: 1/22/16
Genre: Indie Rock
Label: Joyful Noise
Facebook Link


1 comment:

  1. I hear a bit of Talking Heads in there too .... not bad, interested enough to check out a few more of their tracks!

    ReplyDelete