Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Album Review: "Rituais e Mantras do Medo" by Dead Procession

Rituais e Mantras do Medo
How many times have you found yourself locked into something?

In my life there have been countless instances of finding myself doing, following, or listening to something just because that's what I'd been doing.

It's easy for me to get stuck in a rut I suppose.

I'm working harder at not ordering the same meal all the time. It's easy, and normal for me to order only one dish at each restaurant that I frequent, but I'm slowly working on that.

Especially with my Chinese lunches. I do not order the same thing each time and that's a great amount of progress to me.

It's easy to fall into ruts in music as well, probably even easier than anything. It takes zero effort to look at a crazily named genre and think, there's no way I'd enjoy that. Then we scroll past this bands youtube video that our friend on Facebook was nice enough to share with us....

Dead Procession...are they in there?
Portugal's Dead Processions is about to release their debut album.

What kind of music is this?

It's foggy music.

Meaning, these songs are long, languid, and meandering. There are not intros, verses, choruses, and bridges here.

They don't simply click off the time and start crushing it.

And kick ass, finger tapped, guitar solos in harmony?

Forget it.

The songs roll in....a little bit at first until they're covering everything in your mind.

The drums begin...simple beats. Then a long, droning guitar chord will lay the melodic foundation.

From time to time some keyboards will emerge, but it gets interesting when the vocals start.

They're primarily moans that imply wails. There's never any screaming or anger, just some sadness. There's a question being asked, but no one can understand it.

But it still demands an answer.

Release: 3/1/16
Genre: Ambient
Label: Labyrinth Productions


No comments:

Post a Comment