Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Album Review: "Into the Void" by Infinite Earths

In all the universe there may be nothing more unequivocally awesome than heavy metal music.  The only thing which even comes close is comic books.  Fortunately the two worlds sometimes merge, although not nearly often enough.

Thus, I was drawn in by a  band called Infinite Earths (as I assume the name harkens to the classic DC comics storyline "Crisis on Infinite Earths"). 

When I read the band bio and learned the album is a soundtrack to vocalist Josh Mazzora's H.P. Lovecraft inspired comic book, I was automatically enamored with the band before hearing a single note. 

My expectations for this album were similar to stepping into the theater to see Star Wars Episode I.  Happily, unlike that fateful day in 1999 when midiclorians spoiled my stew, "Into the Void" has met my lofty expectations.  It is brilliant album which contains all the virtuosic guitar playing of technical death metal with blast beat drumming and a vocal delivery which hovers within the glorious realm of black metal.


The album opens with clean vocals and the intricate guitar work of Mason Miller and Wes Roman slowly dragging the protagonist into the void.  This calm before the storm is short lived, as the song soon explodes into full aggression.  

Although there are returns to moments of serenity interspersed at key moments throughout the album, mostly the listener can expect the pure energy befitting a journey through the perils of a dark dimension.

Infitine Earth takes a break from being pursued by demons
Tempo changes and intricate guitar passages abound. The dramatic shifts in music create a sense of urgency and suspense. The precision timing of bassist Terran Fernandez and drummer Rob Weisenbarger contribute greatly to an atmosphere of frenzied horror.  
I envisioned a panicked chase through a labyrinth with the dread Cthulhu in hot pursuit.  My suspicions about the nature of the  adversary were confirmed when Mazzora growls about the Great Old Ones later in the album.  This could be the first ever Cthuhlu Metal band.
At the time of this writing the accompanying comic book was not yet available for review.  It has been my past experience great albums have rarely spawned great comic books.  For example, I think Stone Sour's "House of Gold and Bones" was a masterpiece of an album, but the comic book which followed was very disappointing. This seems to be the norm rather than the exception.  Genius as a bard does not make for genius as a playwright.  Still, this album makes me excited to read the comic.

The music was intense and dramatic and left my mind flayed as only Cthuhlu can.  If the comic is only half as good, I look forward to submitting to the print madness of the Great Old Ones as well.


Release: December 2, 2016
Genre: Technical Death Metal, Cthuhlu Metal
Label: Self Released









No comments:

Post a Comment